sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 14 years dealership experience
9825021

fiat 500: i have a fiat(NNN) NNN-NNNNnot starting

i have a fiat(NNN) NNN-NNNNmy car won't start so i changed the battery for a new one, now it won't start. I tried the reset fuel cutoff procedure, did not work. 

Category: Car
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 10 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

There are quite a few things that can cause a no start condition. I'm assuming that the engine cranks but doesn't start?

Listen when the ignition is first turned on and see if you can hear the fuel pump run for 1-2 seconds. If not then it could be a pump or wiring problem.

If you do hear the pump and the engine cranks but won't start then it may be missing spark. Missing spark could be due to a bad cam or crank sensor, wiring, the engine controller, etc.

The first step in diagnosing the problem is going to be using a scan tool to see if the engine controller is awake and then see if any fault codes are set.

Since the car is a 2012 I'm assuming you're still under basic warranty, in which case the repair and tow would be covered.

Also make sure the oil level is good. This engine uses hydraulic pressure from pressurized oil to open the intake valves. Low oil can cause the engine to not start.

There have also been some issues with aftermarket oil filters that didn't fit correctly and prevented proper oil pressure in turn causing starting issues.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

The oil level is fine. I didn't hear any sound coming from the car. I opened the switch and the radio is working. But the car don't start. No sound come from the engine. First of all as soon i change the battery the key got stuck in the switch. I did the procedure to press the red thing underneath the steering wheel. I was able to take the key out. Now i try to turn on the car and nothing happen. No sound. Again the radio is still working. The power window works. Wipers work. Signals works. All lights works. Also i check the fuels box. One by one, works perfect. I believe the reset fuel cutoff procedure was wrong. How can i reset this car?

Does the keyless entry work?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

yes it does

Do you have an automatic or manual transmission?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

automatic

Have you tried starting it in neutral? There have been some transmission range sensor issues with these preventing starter engagement.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

i did it

You tried neutral and it didn't help?

Are you seeing any security or warning lights when the ignition is on?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

when i turn on i see all the lights come on. All of them.

All warning lights stay on the whole time the ignition is on? That indicates a communication problem between modules. THe problem could be wiring or a failed module corrupting bus communication, it's going to take a dealer level scan tool and some in depth electrical testing to see what is going on.
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 14 years dealership experience