Gary, Technician
Experience:  GM master tech for 15 years/ASE master tech for 20 years

Hi, i have a 2005 scion XA with 200.000 + miles,beside accesories

Hi, i have a 2005 scion XA with 200.000 + miles,beside accesories belts and front pads and a battery i never do anything else on the engine, i change the plugs (bosh platinum) about 15.000 miles ago. I noticed that my gas mileage is getting worst : 30 to34 when it use to be 38 to 40,then when i accelerate it seems that the engine is dragging around 3000 rpmuntil i reache 4000 rpm,i also noticed some hesitations of the engine around also 3000 rpm wich is the rpm i stay the most on it,i have a 5 speed manual.I have been also puting in the gas tank fuel system cleaning product (maybe once every 20.000 miles).Is my problem an ignition problem or fuel suply problem? Is there a tool i can hooked up on the computer wich is going to pinpoint the problem? thank you .

Welcome! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to assist you with this problem.

does the check engine light ever come on when your driving ?

do you know if there are any codes in the computer at all ?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no to both questions

can I ask what has ever been done as for spark plugs being changed and any other maintenance done to this engine within the last 30K miles or so ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i replced the spark plug less than 30K miles ago ,nothing else has been done on the engine.

with the engine hesitating and the plugs are fairly new there are a few tests a shop must perform to eliminate a few things

right off the bat usually its as simple as cleaning the MAF with some MAF cleaner spray as they get dirty and sends a wrong air flow entering the engine signal to the computer and will not adjust the fuel correctly causing this problem

if that is not the problem fuel pressure mist be checked next and a compression test

its usually one of those 3 things causing the fuel mileage issues and the hesitation problem

with no codes in the computer that's the next step

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you

you can always get me back through this post any time with any follow up even after you rate us here at Justanswer !