Edward
Edward, Service Technician
Experience:  20 + years experience on various makes and models.
29534642

I have a 2000 Isuzu Rodeo which I have serviced every 4 months.

Customer Question

I have a 2000 Isuzu Rodeo which I have serviced every 4 months. There seems to be an electrical issue with the car. In the morning when I start my car and I press my brake to reverse out of my driveway, all the lights on the dash light up and the car dies out. I then go to start my car and it won't start. I have to wait a bit for it to start again. Not only that but I am driving down the highway at about 55 mph and the car dies out. Now the driver and passenger side windows are acting up. They go up and down when they want to. The fuse blows for my aux plug in. I have just recently changed the starter and the alternator. I have cleaned out the EGR valve too. There seems to be so many variations here but what should I be looking for when it comes to the car shutting off by itself.
Category: Car
Expert:  Edward replied 11 months ago.

Edward :

Hello and thanks for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do all I can to help.

Edward :

The first thing I would do, is put a fuel pressure gauge on the engine. If it's a fuel pump, or faulty fuel pump relay, That will cause a lack of fuel pressure and make it shut off.

Edward :

Usually when the crank back up, it is fuel pressure related. even a slightly clogged fuel filter can cause this, but usually it's the fuel pump circuit or the pump itself.

Edward :

Put a fuel pressure gauge on the engine when it is running, note the pressure, then watch the gauge , See whether the fuel pressure drops when the engine shuts off or not.

Edward :

Also, have you scanned for any trouble codes yet? Let me know.

Customer :

We have not scanned for any trouble codes and nothing lights up on the dash board indicating a problem. The check engine light does not come on nor did it come on when the starter and alternator failed and battery. I also notice when the car dies out, it happens many times when I am pushing my brakes. Another thing I notice is that when the car dies out I go to start it and it won't start but the car still has something running because I turn off the key and the all the lights on the dash light up, I can hear the fuel pump running and the car makes a flickering noise, like when the car is trying to crank over but you need to fool around with the cables for the battery. I touch the negative cable for the battery and it seems to fix it for the moment. Sometimes when the car is off and the ignition is off, I push my brakes and the lights come on the dash board. Do you think there is an open circuit or a ground?

Customer :

Is anyone there to answer my questions?