sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Tech,ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist, experienced in all makes and models

liberty sport: hi, like this...you speak spanish

hi, like this...you speak spanish
Category: Car
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 6 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

I saw on your other question that the engine would start, run for two seconds and die? That can be caused either by factory security (VTSS) or the sentry key system (SKIM).

The SKIM system uses a transponder in the key that communicates with a module in the steering column to allow the engine to start and stay running. If you're using an incorrect key, have a failed key, failed wireless control module (WCM), or there is a bus communication problem between modules then it will cause the engine to start, run for 1-2 seconds and die abruptly.

If you don't have the SKIM system then VTSS is most likely causing the problem. VTSS is controlled by the body control module and should disarm when pressing the unlock button on the key fob or unlocking a door with the key.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.

efectivamente este liberty no tiene skim, no tiene el anillo emisor ni modulo transponedor, entonces la falla debiera ser que el sistema VTSS esta fallando. Tienen electrical diagrams para este sistema?

¿El comienzo del motor, funcionamiento durante 1-2 segundos y luego mueren abruptamente como la llave se apaga?

¿Usted hace el llavero operable?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.

Ok, this Liberty definitely not SKIM system.

then revise the VTSS system, you have some way to check this system?

Does the engine start, run for 1-2 seconds and then die abruptly?

Do you have an operable key fob?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.

yes, my key is black without chip and always worked, sorry for my bad English

Your English is fine!

A key fob is a keyless entry transmitter. Do you have one that works, and if so have you tired pressing the unlock button on it to see if the engine would then start and stay running?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.

I understand now. the key fob works perfectly opening doors and closing doors, but then when I start the engine runs for 2 seconds and stops, and turns on the light key unrecognized

Can you describe exactly what the light looks like and what color it is?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.

is the light which has a key inside a circle with a line traversed. is orange. plus system fault light turns on, the motor that is shaped

That would be the SXXXXX XXXXXght.

Did this problem start after any repairs were made?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.

yes, a little story: this vehicle came into my hands brought from USA, buy running but no indication of any of the instruments on the panel. A mechanic I check, replaced the connector coming from PCM to BCM was corrupted, this time began the fault, also said that sack and placed another PCM, then the Liberty not rip anymore. I hope you understand what I mean.

Was the PCM used and from another vehicle?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.

yes, the PCM that was proved another vehicle, but now has the who brought originally

What happened is you imported SKIM from the vehicle the PCM was originally in.

SKIM is a learned feature. Once a PCM or BCM sees a SKIM module on the network then it is forever programmed to look for the module.

What happened is you took this PCM from a vehicle that had SKIM and put it in your Jeep that didn't.

The PCM was still looking for the SKIM module from the last vehicle so it starts and dies.

As soon as the PCM was plugged in and the key was turned in it then corrupted your BCM making it think the vehicle has SKIM when it doesn't.

There are two ways to repair this now.

Your steering column wiring harness may have a provision for a SKIM module. If the connector is there then you can buy a SKIM module and SKIM key and then have them programmed using the VIN of the vehicle that the PCM came out of.

If you don't have a SKIM module connector in the column then you'll need to replace the PCM and BCM at the same time with the battery disconnected, both with remanufactured replacement units or ones that come from a vehicle without SKIM.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.

ok. understand the solution to the problem ...... if I could not perform, this vehicle is in the region of Magallanes, south of Chile and the world .... no Jeep dealers around here, Well thank you I will continue trying to help launch the Liberty. At least you now what happened. A hug and where you placed bonds for your help,
Cheers XXXXX XXXXX night, Luis
PD: how I can contact you if I have other questions on the subject?

If you need further help with this problem you can always reply on this question and I'll still be able to respond, and rating my performance does not cut off communication.

If you need other help in the future you can request me when opening a new question, it would be greatly appreciated!
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Tech,ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist, experienced in all makes and models