Randall C
Randall C, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  32 years Foreign / Domestic Cars All aspects of Diag and Repair
13677702

Landrover Discovery Series 1: I have a 99 Landrover Discovery

I have a 99 Landrover Discovery series 1 which is currently having an issue with only its driver side rear tail light. The blinker works fine. but the light will not light up when the lights are turned on and the brake light will not light when the brake is depressed. The right side appears to be working as required it is only the left. Should i just replace the existing tail light unit or is the problem in the wiring and connectors that lead down to it?
Category: Car
Expert:  Randall C replied 12 months ago.
Hello, I am Randall. I have reviewed your question and working on it now.
Do you have a testlight or at least voltmeter you can use
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

No I don't have any of those. I tried to hot swap the right tail light into the left tail lights position and it didn't work.

does the reverse light and the marker light portion work?
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

Yes, both the reverse light and the turn signal work properly.

best if tests could be performed but since we can not? after reviewing wiring diagrams, the wiring and circuits for the truns, brake lights, parking etc are all different so..in conclusion I feel you either have a problem with the vehcile side plug at the light assembly or the light itself

If you look clse and inspect the vehicle side plug and it looks good, pins and terminals look good? then I tend to lean more to the light assembly as the problem

Sure there is a splice for right and left for brakes but a different spice for parking lights left and right so the ods of 2-3 splices failing at one timeare very slim.

I feel the problem is at light connector or the light itself
Randall C, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 32 years Foreign / Domestic Cars All aspects of Diag and Repair