Roy
Roy, import/domestic specialest
Experience:  ASE master tech for 40 years
3506196

2002 Grand Prix Catalyst load bank and multiple misfires in

2002 Grand Prix Catalyst load bank and multiple misfires in computer codes. Engine light flashes and engine misses and lacks power. Smells like fuel when I get out of the car. 92000 miles
good afternoon my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you today

from your description it sounds like there is a bad plug, wire or coil. the missfiring is flooding the cat with unburnt fuel causing the smell and overheating the cat as well.

most likely start with basics, plugs, wires and see if it helps it. injectors would be the last thing on the list to cover.

Roy
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I never said the car overheated. It stays at 185 to 190 degrees. I would think that it would miss all the time with a bad plug or wire. It happens only when the engine light is flashing
i am talking about the cat converter overheating, not the engine. the smell you get is from the converter when it gets red hot and has too much unburned fuel.

you can have intermittent plugs/wire failure. will not do it all the time. flashing CEL is an indication of a missfire.

what is the code number for the check engine light??

Roy
how are you making out??

Roy