Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIANCE, AUTO AND TRUCK,FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DIESEL
17454363

land rover Range Rover HSE: 2004 Range Rover Code P0720 output

2004 Range Rover Code P0720 output speed sensor ckt
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX this code, 99% of the time, it is caused by a bad transfer case acuator motor, not the sensor, have you checked the acuator yet?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

well i havent check the actuator yet how am i suppossed to check it..

do you have a scan tool?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes i do

ok,does it show a signal from the speed sensor?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes it does i drove the truck with the scanner connected and yes im getting signal

ok, then you most likely have a bad transfer case acuator motor, I will post the diagnostics for this code, below,Tim

1. Read data with scan tool on speed sensor. If speed sensor shows no speed operation, inspect sensor wiring from control unit to sensor.

2. If no issues with speed sensor, recommend shifting the transfer case into low and then high. Verify correct operation.

3. Shift transfer case motor into neutral. Operation for shifting into neutral involves inserting a fuse into position 37. See owner's manual.

4. If transfer case motor does not function correctly, test for Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC) in the transfer case control unit.

5. Inspect electrical connections of the transfer case control unit for corrosion. Then inspect wiring to motor. If wiring is ok and motor does not function correctly, replace motor.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

well i just finishe checking the wiring from inside the pan to the tcm everything looks ok so it makes lots of sense im going to put the pan back and refill the transmission and ill do that ill let you know thanks....!!!!!

Anytime my friend, we do alot of the acuator motors for this code,Tim
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

you were totally right Sr . Thanks a lot u R the Best !!! That Motor was the problem just installed a good used one and it works perfect.