Pete, Mechanic
Experience:  15 years automotive training and experience.
14928985

Hyundai Tiburon: I have a 2000 Tiburon and I am getting the

Customer Question

I have a 2000 Tiburon and I am getting the P0501 and the P0734 codes. I did do the end clutch fix to solve the P0734. The P0501 codes relates to the speed sensor. I seen on here people talk about the reed switch, but I don't have the reed switch. I don't have the cable driven speedometer, it is electronic. I also see about the speed sensor on the passenger side hub, but I don't have a sensor there either. My speedometer does work, but the OBD2 scan tool isn't showing any speed. I have 12 volts on the blue wire at the VSS, I have ground continuity at the black wire at the VSS. The black wire with the yellow stripe, besides the speedometer, does it also go to the ECM or TCM. I am totally stumped and can't get this thing through inspection.

Eddie
Category: Car
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a professional here at Just Answer/Pearl. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

Your vehicles speed sensor sends the vehicle speed to the instrument cluster first and since you do show a speed on the cluster this indicates the vehicle speed sensor,wiring from the sensor to the instrument cluster and the instrument cluster itself are all o.k.

The fault is within the ECM (engine control module itself) or the wiring leading from the instrument cluster to the ECM.I would trace the wiring from the ECM to the instrument cluster and see if any wiring is found at fault.If the wiring is found to be o.k. most likely this is an internal electrical fault in the instrument cluster or ecm,.There are some testing procedures that can be done for this code and if you want me to post he testing info here let me know.

Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, please send me any testing procedures you can get your hands on. I have beed working on cars for years but I would by no means consider myself a tech. Justanswer has always been my 'Go To Place' when I can't diagnose a car and you guys have never let me down, Thanx!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you have a color coded wiring diagram from the speedo cluster to the ecm? Does the scan tool speed signal go through the BCM or TCM before it goes to the ECM? Thanx
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, not trying to be a PITA, but I forgot to mention that there was trans fluid in the old electronic speed sensor and when we installed the new speed sensor, tested for a scan tool speed reading (no vehicle speed w/new one) there was oil in that one too.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
I apologize for the delay.

The speed sensor sends a signal to terminal 9 which is a yellow wire with black stripe at the instrument cluster.From here the the transmission control module receives the signal at terminal 10 which is a yellow wire with white stripe from the instrument cluster then sends this signal out on terminal 16 which is a yellow wire with black stripe to the engine computer.

It sounds like the speed sensor and instrument cluster input are o.k. since you do have the speedometer operating but it sounds like either the TCM or the ECM is at fault or wiring in between.

The first thing I would do here is if your scan tool displays data lists for the transmission computer data lists to see if it is seeing a speedo signal and let me know.

Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My scan tool does not get into the trans module. I have a TCM out of a 2000 Elantra but that car does not have an electronic speed sensor do you think that would work? Also, what do you think about the oil in the speed sensor? Do you figure since the speedometer works then the sensor is still working? I am going to do the wire testing, would you test between the TCM and ECM, or the cluster to the TCM 1st? BTW, I bought this car to repair and sell it but the check engine light bulb had been removed prob because they couldn't fix the P0501, no good sob, so this prob has been here awhile.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Since your speedometer is working I would think this may be normal for oil in the sensor itself unless it is leaking out of the electrical connector then you may have got a faulty new sensor.

I don't know if the TCM would work out of this vehicle for sure.You might contact a dealers parts department via phone and see if they can tell you as usually they can cross reference the part number to see if it is compatible.

I would do both tests between the tcm and ecm and instrument cluster to tcm.

Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Pete, when I check the wires am I looking for continuity?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
I would test continuity from the tcm to the ecm and the instrument cluster to the tcm to see if there is continuity,if you find one wire that does not have continuity or is shorted to ground or voltage this is the cause needing corrected.

Thanks Pete
Pete, Mechanic
Experience: 15 years automotive training and experience.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanx Pete I'll update with results
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Your welcome.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just wanted to say I was an expert on JA when they 1st started and they had much bigger bonus options. You and the other experts should tell JA to add a bonus option besides the $3,$6,$9 options that would allow the customer to give a bonus amount of their choice. I would have given you more if I had the option and when you save people hundreds if not thousands of $$$ many people are very grateful and would give what they think is a reasonable/worthy/sometimes percentage bonus.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Thanks I will have to mention that,I always thought they had an option as I had received some larger bonuses before.

Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hey Pete, behind the cluster there are two connectors. Looking at them labeled on Alldata as I01-1(Right) and I01-2(Left). If you look at the rear of the cluster they are numbered and number 9 (which would be on the Right side connector) has a gold tab but doesn't go anywhere. Also there isn't a wire attached to number 9 on this connector. Am I in the right place or not? Thanks

I checked for continuity between the VSS black and yellow wire to the connectors behind the cluster and found that I have continuity on the number 16 of the cluster on the I01-1 connector. I also checked for continuity between the TCM yellow and white wire at terminal 10 on the TCM. I don't have any continuity between here and the connectors behind the cluster. Also I traced the Yellow and White wire terminal 10 from the TCM and it appears to go out into the fender well. Tiburon Cluster

This picture is from the rear of the cluster. If it was turned around the socket you see on the left would go into the right plug and vice versa. Also is there anyway we could speak over the phone because this messaging is for the birds. LOL

Phone Number is 856.....305.....1226.....Thanks

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

I am following up with you to see if you still needed help with your question you had asked.If my help didn't satisfy your question please let me know so we can continue.

Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Did you get this post?::: Hey Pete, behind the cluster there are two connectors. Looking at them labeled on Alldata as I01-1(Right) and I01-2(Left). If you look at the rear of the cluster they are numbered and number 9 (which would be on the Right side connector) has a gold tab but doesn't go anywhere. Also there isn't a wire attached to number 9 on this connector. Am I in the right place or not? Thanks

I checked for continuity between the VSS black and yellow wire to the connectors behind the cluster and found that I have continuity on the number 16 of the cluster on the I01-1 connector. I also checked for continuity between the TCM yellow and white wire at terminal 10 on the TCM. I don't have any continuity between here and the connectors behind the cluster. Also I traced the Yellow and White wire terminal 10 from the TCM and it appears to go out into the fender well.

Tiburon
View Full Image

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Pete, I sent 2 of the same posts, did you recieve them. Maybe you didn't because they had a picture of the cluster in the post?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I checked for continuity between the VSS black and yellow wire to the connectors behind the cluster and found that I have continuity on the number 16 of the cluster on the I01-1 connector. I also checked for continuity between the TCM yellow and white wire at terminal 10 on the TCM. I don't have any continuity between here and the connectors behind the cluster. Also I traced the Yellow and White wire terminal 10 from the TCM and it appears to go out into the fender well. Also is there anyway we could speak over the phone because this messaging is for the birds. LOL

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
I apologize for the delay I did receive the posts above.

If you look at 101-1 electrical connector do you see a terminal 9 numbered on this connector at all?

Unfortunately this is the only place we can communicate is here.

Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

number 9 (which would be on the Right side connector) has a gold tab but doesn't go anywhere. Also there isn't a wire attached to number 9 on this connector. Also I traced the Yellow and White wire terminal 10 from the TCM and it appears to go out/come in from the fender well. Are you by any chance using alldata for your wiring diagrams? I have been using them for years and they often use info from other similar cars and the info is wrong, especially Hyundais. EX: If they are using an Elantra wiring diagram for the Tiburon it would be different be cause the Elantra has a cable for the speedo and the Tiburon has an electronic speed sensor.BTW, what the heck do the pulse generators/speed sensors do? (a lot of parts places call them speed sensors)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The cluster marked with a number 9 (which would be on the Right side connector) has a gold tab/connection but doesn't go anywhere. Also there isn't a wire attached to number 9 on this connector. So # 9 is not used. Also I traced the Yellow and White wire terminal 10 from the TCM and it appears to go out/come in from the fender well. Are you by any chance using alldata for your wiring diagrams? So are we and it can,t be right. I have been using them for years and they often use info from other similar cars and the info is wrong, especially Hyundais. EX: If they are using an Elantra wiring diagram for the Tiburon it would be different be cause the Elantra has a cable for the speedo and the Tiburon has an electronic speed sensor.BTW, what the heck do the pulse generators/speed sensors do? (a lot of parts places call them speed sensors)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pete, we replaced the cluster....no reading, replaced the TCM....no reading, replaced the ECU...WE GOT SPEED READING!!!! Thanx for your help!!!! Take note, please read previous posts. #9 ON CLUSTER IS NOT USED.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
I apologize for the delay.(Fridays and Saturdays are usually days I take off)

Thats great to hear the fault has been resolved.Let us know if you need anything else in the future and I will keep in mind the #9 is not used on this vehicle.

Thanks Pete