Pete, Mechanic
Experience:  15 years automotive training and experience.
14928985

I parked in the driveway. One hour later I went out to my car

I parked in the driveway. One hour later I went out to my car & it would not start. The lights came on brightly, the radio worked, it prompted me for the key which was in my possession. I thought perhaps the battery was low. The car would not take a jump. I felt tension in brake pedal. The brake must be depressed to start the car. What would cause this abrupt failure of the car to start?
Submitted: 12 months ago via CarComplaints.com.
Category: Car
Expert:  Pete replied 12 months ago.
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a professional here at Just Answer/Pearl. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

If the engine did not crank over with the starter and you did have the key in your possession but you had received the message for the key to start the vehicle this sounds like an internal electrical fault with the key itself not transmitting the correct signal to let the vehicles computers know you had it with you.I have seen this before and had to replace the key.

I would have the key and the ignition system tested and checked for fault codes with a scan tool to see if the key is the component at fault.If found at fault it will need replaced.If you have a second key I would try it and see if the vehicle then starts.

Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

Hi Pete,

I tried using my other fob. Both have new batteries in them. I was just saying that it seemed since I was getting acc power and lights that it was probably not the battery. I think it has something to do with the brake. I have to depress the brake & push the button to start the car. Can it be a problem with the brake? Have you had complaints about that issue?

Expert:  Pete replied 12 months ago.
In some cases the brake position or pressure switch can fail and this will cause a no start.This will allow the normal ignition lights to come on but will fail to allow the vehicle to crank over and start.I haven't seen this issue myself on this model but it is possible.

This would need to be checked into further with having the fault codes read out to see what codes have set then from there it can be diagnosed further to locate and correct the issue.

Thanks Pete
Pete, Mechanic
Experience: 15 years automotive training and experience.
Expert:  Pete replied 12 months ago.

I am following up with you to see if you still needed help with your question you had asked.If my help didn't satisfy your question please let me know so we can continue.

Thanks Pete