Roy, import/domestic specialest
Experience:  ASE master tech for 40 years

2002 Isuzu Axiom. Just had transmission rebuilt and reinstalled.

Customer Question

2002 Isuzu Axiom. Just had transmission rebuilt and reinstalled. Mechanic says TOD warning light is flashing yellow in 2W and 4L, they are getting no codes. He said 2W and 4L are working, car runs fine, transmission working. They can't get light to stop flashing. What could be causing this?
Category: Car
Expert:  Roy replied 3 years ago.
good afternoon my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will assist you today

The overdrive light is an indication of a malfunction whether it is a solenoid or the converter that could be causing this. I would inspect the wiring harness very carefully for any frayes or breaks. I assume they replaced the converter????

Surprizing there is no codes. with a flashing light there should be a code. did you try to remove a battery cable and re install??

was the light on prior to the re build??

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The car is still at the transmission shop. The mechanic called and said after they installed the rebuilt tranny this morning the light started flashing. They are getting no electrical codes, or codes of any kind, and they do have sophisticated equipment. If the converter is part of the transmission, it was probably replaced. They said the car is going into 4L and back to 2-wheel fine, but they just can't get the dang light to stop flashing. They are removing a battery cable, letting it sit for a bit, and re-connecting to see if that works.

Expert:  Roy replied 3 years ago.
ok, keep me updated

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Here's the update. The light that is flashing is the "Check TOD" dashlight and it is red. I drove the car home from the transmission place in 2WD, stopped and put it in 4WD to come up our hill (about half a mile). Entire trip was about 25-30 miles, had no problems at all with the car.

The light did not flash before the transmission was rebuilt and reinstalled. A new torque converter, filter, clutches, etc. were put in, the transmission was completely rebuilt by a reputable company.

It's odd that the light only started flashing after the transmission was changed. The battery was disconnected and reconnected. Any ideas?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Other.
Roy was trying. It's a tough question. I just need someone who can answer it.
Expert:  Roy replied 3 years ago.

sorry just got home from work I am looking on information systems for info for you. give me a little time. Roy

by the way, does the light flash?? looking for a possible sequence of flashing.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The light flashes regularly and constantly. Blink, blink, blink, blink.

Expert:  Roy replied 3 years ago.
according to my alldata the flashing light is an indication of a failure and with no code it is a control issue but does not define the exact issue.

I am stumped here. I will opt out and see if any of the other guys can give you more exact help.

have a good night

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Well, Roy, this Isuzu has been a real trial for us. Thanks for trying.

Expert:  Roy replied 3 years ago.
good luck, wish I could be more help
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks. Wish you could have too, but even the transmission guys were totally stumped. Which is why I came here. Have a good evening. Best regards.

Expert:  Roy replied 3 years ago.
thank you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The choices are not appropriate. You tried to come up with answers, but none were acceptable. I'm sorry, but I just spent $2200 for the transmission, and I chose high priority and detailed advice for the $45.00 deposit. I appreciate the try, but it just wasn't worth the money. I'm so sorry. No need to respond, I'm going to try this question again, but there's no longer any rush.

Expert:  Roy replied 3 years ago.
i suggest removing the bad rating if you expect anyone to respond