Steve
Steve, ASE Certified Tech
Experience:  25 years working as a service technician

volkswagon Vanagon: I am needing assistance checking the fuel

I am needing assistance checking the fuel pump relay
Category: Car
Expert:  Steve replied 10 months ago.

Steve :

Thanks for trusting me to help you with your car today. I am a certified mechanic with over 25 years of experience. I look forward to working with you

Steve :

on the drivers side of the Engine Compartment is a box that has a fuel pump relay and a current supply relay. For a picture of where the fuel pump relay is located click here

Customer:

there seems to be two relays and when i purchased the relay from parts store the only gave me one. is one for something else or are they both fuel pump relays. The main issue is the fuel pump is not working, you can spray starter fluid and it starts up and runs for a second

Steve :

Customer:

they are both numbered the same (53) should one be different from one another?

Steve :

Did you click on the click here above? try this click here

Customer:

yes

Customer:

illl try this one

Steve :

with the picture you still do not know which one it is?

Customer:

no i know now thx but are they both supposed to be the same exact relay

Steve :

It is the one closest to the door when you open it up is the fuel pump relay. The one relay is for the fuel pump and the other is for the current supply they both look the same.

Customer:

thanks i understand that i now know which one it is but hte question i have now is , are the part numbers supposed to the same

Customer:

they are exactly the same relays no difference at all

Steve :

At the fuel pump when cranking the engine check the red wire with the white stripe for power if you have power the relay is ok. Check the brown wire for ground. If the ground and power are ok then the fuel pump is bad. The relays are both the same in the box.

Customer:

oh thanks youve been a huge help. would a electric fuel pump work or does it need to be the OEM part

Steve :

I always go with a oem part for electrical. Aftermarket will work but cannot guarantee for how long for you have to replace it again.

Customer:

again thanks you saved me alot of useless work.

Steve :

You are very welcome

Customer:

oh one last ? before i let you go do I need to drop the take to check those wires you told me to check earlier

Customer:

tank

Steve :

You should be able to access them without dropping the gas tank.

Customer:

thanks and have a good night and i wont forget to rate you for your great service

Steve :

You also have a great evening.

Steve, ASE Certified Tech
Experience: 25 years working as a service technician