Technician Chris
Technician Chris, Technician
Experience:  I am a certified ASE Master Technician with L1 Advanced Diagnostic Specialist and over 15 years experience.

Cadillac DTS: I have a 2007 Cadillac DTS - I recently had an

I have a 2007 Cadillac DTS - I recently had an issue while idling where the car's temperature went up, not to red but higher than normal. once it started to move the temp came back to about half way as it normally is. it did climb when going up hill also before I shut off the car. in the few days since I have not seen the temperature go up again. what do you think might be happening?
Category: Car
Expert:  Technician Chris replied 9 months ago.
If you have already checked the coolant level, and it is good and there are no signs of leaks, the issue does not sound major. Possibly sticking thermostat, or the fan isn't coming on like it should when under a load. That could point to a faulty temperature sensor, but before making a recommendation, I would like to have some more information. How many miles are on the vehicle? Have you ever had the coolant flushed? Any other recent repairs? Please answer questions and I will be happy to dig into this further.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.

73k miles, most recent work was for a bad bushing on the passenger side. brakes were also done in same time frame the bushing was fixed. coolant was not recently flushed.

Thank you for that info. You engine takes Dex-Cool coolant which is designed to be flushed out every 5 years. I would recommend taking the vehicle to a shop and have them perform a coolant pressure test to confirm there are no leaks in the system. Most shops will do this test for $25 - $30. If the system passes the pressure test, the next step would be to flush out the coolant. You may just have slight build up that is causing a restriction in the system and a flush should take care of it. A typical coolant flush is usually in the $89 - $129 range. I hope this helps.
Technician Chris, Technician
Experience: I am a certified ASE Master Technician with L1 Advanced Diagnostic Specialist and over 15 years experience.
Thank you very much for the rating. It really is much appreciated. Please let me know the outcome of the pressure test and if I can be of any further assistance.