Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database

my 2004 4x4 navigator has a severe roaring noise from underneath

my 2004 4x4 navigator has a severe roaring noise from underneath . it gets louder as you speed up and slightly goes away in a curve or steering wheel quick jerk to the right . I have replaced front wheel bearing hubs . the tires are new and the noise was present prior to the new tires about 5 months ago . there is no other sign of a problem than the noise , not evening in the tire wear or steering . The noise sounds like when you are going across a draw bridge or through tunnel under the water . it gets so loud that it drowns out the engine noise but lucky the radio can drown it out . What is your best guess ? Thanks
Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm here to help get your problem solved. Are you sure the noise is coming from front? The noise you are describing fits wheel bearings perfectly so if you replaced the front I'd think you probably have a rear bearing going bad on right side.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the only wheel play was the left front but the right rear does have a roar noise when machanics put it up on a lift and turn by hand but they wasn't sure if that noise was the same . could it be a diferrential noise ?

If it was the differential the noise wouldn't stop when turning right. Usually bearings make noise long before they have any play. I would replace the right rear wheel bearing. When you turn sharp right all the noise transfers to left bearing so the bad right bearing stops making the noise. Let me know if you have more questions or if there is anything else I can do to help. Thanks Dennis.