Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  17 years experience as a auto mechanic,foreign and domestic.5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

Isuzu trooper: question on 1999 isuzu trooper transmission

question on 1999 isuzu trooper transmission
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike Kelly replied 11 months ago.
Hi,my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will assist you with your question.
Is the transmission slipping in all gears?
Does it matter if the vehicle is cold or at operating temp?
Is the check engine light on?
How does the transmission fluid look?
How many miles on the vehicle?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Trany will slip out of gear while driving. After it has reached speed. I'll step on acc and nothing happens. I let it go to idle while coasting, still in drive. I'll then slowly step on gas and it engages again. Took it to a trany shop a while back and they said fluid is dark and recommended to replace it. I'll keep driving it until it doesn't move.

ODO 130k

Check engine is on but not related to trany.. O2 sensors

Ok the speed sensor won't cause the symptoms that you are having. This is a valve body issue,the valve body is loosing pressure and causing the pressure to the transmission drums to be incorrect there fore the pistons in the drums to not operate. The dark fluid is because heat damage is starting to occur inside the transmission. The valve body's in these transmissions are known for this problem. Here's the problem at this point replacing the valve body without rebuilding the trans likely won't help you because there has been a pressure loss and heat damage. The cheapest route would be to put another transmission in the vehicle.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Does flushing out trany and adding an additive for leaks do anything for these problems? Trany fix is worth more than the car at this point.

It would not hurt at this point. If it was mine I would have it flushed and add some Lucas transmission treatment. This will likely prolong the transmission going completely out.
Let me know if you need any further assistance thank you.
Mike Kelly, Auto Mechanic
Experience: 17 years experience as a auto mechanic,foreign and domestic.5 years running my own repair business.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

This is related to the same question. I don't what to be invoiced for anything else. So don't answer it if that is the case.

I asked about flushing the system and changing the Trany fluid and was advised against it. Was told that after flushing and changing the fluid the trany might not even engage. Advised to trade in if i'm not going to change out the trany. Why is this the case?

Most shops will say don't change out the fluid because of the mileage. The fact is the transmission needs to be replaced now,flushing it can only help the situation not hurt it. As far as trading it in, well any place that you try to trade it in to will be able to tell the trans is not right,I still recommend the flush,mechanics have always differed on this subject. Just depends on who you ask. By the way when it ask you to rate or pay for the answer again,disregard that you have already paid. Thank you.