sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

Chrysler PT Cruiser: Ive just bought a 2007 PT Cruiser RHD

I've just bought a 2007 PT Cruiser RHD UK 2.4 Convertible and it has Ignition/Electrical/Immobiliser/Key Problems - that's how I bought it to fix! So far I've had an Auto Locksmith with a Van full of equipment round and he can't get it started. He says it's matched to 250 keys and needs a Secret PINs. Various stories of how it got in this mess, lost keys, battery replacement, jump started. Anyhow I want ot know what bits I would need to replace and get re-coded to match for it to fire into Life. PCM/SKIM/Key/ECU - all or some of these? The Auto guy has tried all his tricks and is struggling - can you help me work this through and guide me to all the parts that need to work together or be replaced?

This is the car and pics with description - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171129652645?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

The SKIM system uses a transponder in the key which communicates with the wireless control module (WCM) in the steering column. When you start the engine the WCM interrogates the key to ensure it is correct. If it is then the engine will start and run.

The key, WCM and powertrain control module (PCM) are all programmed using a PIN that is directly tied to the VIN.

It's hard to say what your situation is now since you don't know the history of the car. It's possible that the PCM or WCM has been replaced with a used one. If the PCM is a used one from another car then a dealer scan tool can be used to program it to the car using the normal PCM replaced function through the WCM menu.

If the WCM had been replaced with a used one then it would need to be replaced with a new one as they are one time use only.

Worst case scenario would be replacing the PCM, WCM and key.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks - that helps.

Can you describe where each of these items are located - the WVM and PCM that is - is there an exploded diagram anywhere?

The car is currently stripped down around the ignition key and the Auto guy is trying to get a Secret PIN - he seems to know what he is up to but I wanted to get some information in case he can't beat it.

Also would the ECU ever need to be replaced in this type of case or is that a red herring?

Any idea what the costs are of a PCM and WCM and Key?

Can the PCM be second hand and do they have to come off the same model year and Engine size. The UK has a lot of 2.0 vehicles and I was wondering if the parts are interchageable?

Thanks in advance again.

The WCM is the module in the steering column. It's a small black rectangular box and has a round antenna coil that goes around the end of the lock cylinder area.

the PCM is a silver rectangular module mounted in the engine compartment, it should be mounted to the firewall on either the left or right side depending on if you have left or right hand drive

It's possible that the PCM could need to be replaced depending on the situation.

The PIN for the vehicle would need to be obtained through a Chrysler dealer. You would either need to obtain it from a dealer after presenting proof of ownership, or i a shop is working on it then they can do so.

The PCM can be a used part as long as the part number matches.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks.

Can any of this be bypassed - i.e. can any of these components be removed and the car be got to start?

Also any idea on costs and do they all need to be from the same model and year of vehicle?

Unfortunately once it is programmed at the factory the SKIM system isn't something that can be disabled.

Here in the US a replacement SKIM key for these runs about $160. A remanufactured PCM runs about $300, the SKIM module about $100.

If you're considering used parts then you'll need to match the part number of the PCM to one from a donor vehicle. The vehicle would have to be the same but the same PCM most likely fits at least a couple model years.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Can I get a new WCM with a matching part number and does this auto partner with the PCM of the vehicle?

A new WCM has to be programmed once installed. The PIN is entered and then data transfers from the PCM to the WCM to marry them together.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Got Ya, I spoke to the Auto Lock guy yesterday and he's still waiting for the PIN from Chrysler - he said that the system when he plugged in was Blank whatever that means - not sure which bit.

I've confirmed over the weekend that the PCM matches the VIN and the WCM looks like it's original to me so maybe it's just lost it's brain having a Battery change? Does this sound likely?

What symptoms are you having exactly?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It just won't start, key twists to get dash lights on but instead the car just breaks into flashing lights alarm mode.

Horn disconnected so it's just hazards for 30 seconds each go.

Key doesn't lock or unlock doors with fob but fits boot. Someone has made a second key but thats the same.

Do you know if anyone programmed the second key? It would have needed to be programmed using a scan tool and the PIN.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, the second key is a copy key and came with the car.

Picture here - http://sdrv.ms/16Ddg4u

If this key wasn't programmed then it definitely won't start the car and the keyless entry won't work. Maybe the only problem is that no one ever programmed the key?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Is it possible to test the WCM SKIM module at all?

One of the keys is Chrysler orginal and one of them is chipped copy - neither work and both trigger alarm.

Part number for WCM is 05026228AJ - just wondering if it's worth buying one of these as a similar one is available on eBay.

05026222AN

A scan tool is needed to diagnose and repair the system. The first step in diagnosing this is to see if the WCM is awake and then read fault codes from it.

Not knowing the history of the car, the original key could have failed and the second one may not be programmed, it may just be a key issue.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Myi Auto guy now says he's waiting for me to supply the PIN code.

Can you get me the PIN code? Seems like there a lot of US Suppliers.

http://keytechtools.com

I can give the VIN number and of course am the legal owner of the vehicle - I have just tried one service for $10 http://keytechtools.com but I am not holding my breath as I am in the UK.

Prefer to do this via Email and PayPal if you can help to keep VIN and PIN off this Q&A. Will pay you of course.

Can you or someone over there help me - Car has now been on the drive for 2 weeks and getting to a local dealer is difficult during working hours.

Many thanks in advance.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I just got the PIN code from an online site - hope that now get's things moving!

Great!