sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience

T100 DX: what would cause my 1995 t100 3.4 liter engine to

what would cause my 1995 t100 3.4 liter engine to choke out sort of in first & second & third at about 3000 rpms and then be ok all the way up to sixty plus in 5th gear

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

I see that your question has been up for an extended time and while although this vehicle is not in my area of greatest expertise I would like to try to help.

There are quite a few things that could cause your problem.

Normally the first step in diagnosing a problem such as this would be seeing if any fault codes are set. Many of the potential causes for your symptoms will set a fault code and this could be used as a starting point for diagnosis. I would recommend checking for fault codes if at all possible, if your check engine light is coming on then starting by seeing what codes are set is a must.

It sounds like the engine is just hesitating rather than missing? A misfire type feel is normally ignition related but it doesn't sound like that's what you are feeling.

The most likely causes for a hesitation like you are describing would be low fuel pressure, a mass airflow signal issue, throttle position sensor, possibly an oxygen sensor or restricted catalytic converter. If the converter is restricted it will rob power under acceleration at higher RPM's.

A mass airflow sensor issue can be caused by a dirty or failed sensor or it could be an air/vacuum leak between the sensor and engine. If the engine is breathing air that isn't flowing through the sensor then it will cause driveability problems.

If there are no codes set and no apparent leaks in the intake tract then the best thing to do would be to monitor data with a scan tool when it's acting up, or fuel pressure can be tested using a gauge while driving it under a load and see if pressure is dropping off.