Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.

S: 2010mini sDown shifted automatic to far engine went to

2010mini s
Down shifted automatic to far engine went to 3500 and started shouting down

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a professional here at Just Answer/Pearl. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

From what you have described here you may have over revved the engine or transmission and this caused the check engine light to come on most likely.In some cases on some vehicles this can cause a fault code to set that puts the vehicle into a limp/fail safe mode and causes the issue you have now on the vehicle.

What needs to be done from here is to have the fault codes checked using a scan tool that will plug into your vehicles data port and read your vehicles computers to see what codes have set that have turned on this check engine light.Once this is done document the codes and then erase/clear them with the scan tool and see if the vehicle operates properly.If it does then the fault was the codes needed cleared out to correct this.

If the fault comes back with the no power and the code(s) reset again this indicates a component is at fault on the engine or transmission (depending on what code(s) have set) that may have been damaged when the engine was over revved as a component may have failed and the codes need diagnosed to locate and correct the fault.If this is the case post the code info here and I can see if I can look the codes up for you to see if we can locate the fault from here.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I'm aware of this, my hope was that the car could be reset without visiting the dealer.
You don't necessarily have to go to a dealer to get the codes checked and reset.You can check with a local parts store like Auto Zone is one I know of for sure as they can plug in their scan tool and read out codes and they might erase them as well (although some parts stores have a hard time clearing codes so this is a possibility of them erasing them).A local shop can also check and erase the codes if they have a scan tool compatible with this vehicle here.

This is the first place to start here to see if erasing them corrects this and to see if any codes reset since there are so many different possibilities of what can turn this light on here on the dash.Unfortunately there isn't a manual way to reset the codes.The only way the computer will reset/clear the codes on its own is if the vehicle is driven and the ignition is cycled over 40 times without the engine/transmission computer seeing a fault with the component it has set the code for.This can take up to a couple of weeks of driving and turning on and off the vehicle.

Thanks Pete

I am following up with you to see if you still needed help with your question you had asked.If my help didn't satisfy your question please let me know so we can continue.

Thanks Pete