Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.
14928985

Saab 9-3 2.0T: 2006. Right low beam failure...happens on and

2006. Right low beam failure...happens on and off, but consistently. Now the turn signal is also off.
We keep replacing the (very expensive) bulbs, but the problem re-occurs. We tried different headlight settings and sometimes that does the trick for a while. We have had the car serviced over the years in NY, but the car is currently in Athens Ohio. Any ideas or suggestions for mechanics there? Our mechanic in NY supplied us with one replacement bulb that our son has with the car in Ohio
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a professional here at Just Answer/Pearl. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

From what you have described here it sounds like you have the xenon light system for headlights since the bulbs are so expensive.If you have been replacing this bulb yourself make sure you are not contacting the glass on the bulb itself as the oil on your fingers even with clean hands gets on the glass and causes premature failure of these bulbs.If this is what has been happening with the glass on the bulb being contacted I would install the next bulb with a rubber latex glove on or try to not touch the glass on the bulb.I would also check and see if the turn signal bulb has now burned out and replace as needed if this is the first time this bulb has failed.

If this is not the case with the glass being touched on the bulb let me know and we can continue to diagnose/locate the fault for this failure here.

Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX mechanic did tell us about not touching the bulb and he replaced the last one last month so that shouldn't be the problem. I also relayed that info to my son so he knows also. We had the car fully checked before it went to Ohio in August but the the headlights continue to be an issue. Our mechanic said it might be a transformer problem. Do you have any suggestions or other thoughts or recommendations for a way to find a good mechanic in athens?
O.k.,thats good you know not to touch the glass on the bulb,I just wanted to make sure you knew about that.

I don't see this as a fault with the ballast for the bulb but I have seen in some cases where the transformer can cause voltage surges when it starts to fail and can cause the bulb to fail repeatedly.I think your mechanic is correct as this sounds to be the case here with the transformer.Unfortunately this is difficult to test for unless the transformer is acting up at the time it is tested.

Unfortunately I do not know the area you are in or where the vehicle is so I don't know of any good Saab technicians.You may have to check around in this area to see if you can locate one that has electrical back ground experience with the lighting systems.The cost on this transformer is right around $300 for the part itself.I know in some cases some of these bulbs can cost around $100 each so it may be worth having the transformer replaced to see if it corrects the fault since it will be difficult to test.

Thanks Pete

I am following up with you to see if you still needed help with your question you had asked.If my help didn't satisfy your question please let me know so we can continue.

Thanks Pete