Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician/JA Mentor
3195632

I have A 1998 S-10 LS 4.3 my a/c compressor has a switch in

Customer Question

I have A 1998 S-10 LS 4.3 my a/c compressor has a switch in the back of it and I am not sure it is what should be in it . It is green, the a/c has never worked from the day I bought it. Installed all new Compressor,condenser,dryer and orfice tube, I took blower motor out cleaned and checked it-its fine. What do you think
Category: Car
Expert:  Gary replied 11 months ago.
Welcome! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to assist you with this problem.
the refrigerent is filled to the correct amount correct ?
when the engine is running and you turn on the A/C the compressor will not turn on at all ?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

yes ,compressor will not kick on.

Expert:  Gary replied 11 months ago.
ok do you have a test light? multi meter ? any paper clips on hand ?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

paper clips yes

Expert:  Gary replied 11 months ago.
no test light or multi meter ?
also start the truck up turn the A/C on and the blower motor on
unplug the low switch in the accumulator and jump the 2 terminals with a peper clip in the connector you unplugged and see if it will run
if it still will not run leave it running plug that back in and then unplug the connector for the high pressure cut off switch back of compressor area (light blue and darkgreen/white wires ) jump that connector and see if it runs
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I jumped low switch connector , no compressor. I jumped high switch connector , no compressor. I looked at all fuses and they are good. With max a/c on I can not here compressor engage, blower motor works fine

Expert:  Gary replied 11 months ago.
ok do you have a test light or a multi meter on hand ?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

no cant find it

Expert:  Gary replied 11 months ago.

lets see if another expert has any ideas

the next step is to check for voltages and grounds and see what's missing

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

I will get a volt meter and test them tomorrow as I work nights.

Expert:  Eric replied 11 months ago.

Different expert here, once you get the voltmeter and are ready for testing, let me know and I will walk you thru it
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I have voltage meter now ready when you are

Expert:  Eric replied 10 months ago.

Ok, with ac on, at the compressor harness connector check for 12v on the dark green wire and good ground on the black wire
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I am not getting 12 volts out of harness

Expert:  Eric replied 10 months ago.
HI,

Ok, because fuses can appear intact when they have failed, use your voltmeter and check for 12v across the AC fuse and the IGN E fuse in the engine compartment fuse box

If ok, next swap out a relay with the AC compressor relay in the same fuse box. We can only do this to test the relay as a Tech2 scan tool is needed to actually test the relay itself, so swapping for another relay will take its place in testing
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Ok I will try this as soon as I have time as I am out of town for weekend. and I have to get to work now. I will get back to you thanks for your help.

Expert:  Eric replied 10 months ago.
HI,

Ok, I am here everyday, so no problem, but I want to go ahead and give you the rest of testing procedure

Ok, If fuses and relay is good, then you will need to test the following at the VCM(vehicle control module).

with engine idling and ac on, backprobe the dark green with white striped wire at pin #1 on connector C3 at the vcm for 12v

if 12v present, then repair dark green wire with white stripe between the VCM and the AC relay(cavity #2)

If not present, then check pin#25, dark green with white wire, as well as pin#30, dark green wire for 12v.

If 12v present at both, replace the VCM

If 12v not present at the dark green wire(pin30), check for 12v at dark green wire at the ac low pressure switch. If present, repair wire between low pressure switch and the VCM

If 12v not present on the green with white striped wire (pin 25), then check for 12v at the high pressure switch at the greeen with white stripe wire. If 12v present, repair the wire between the high pressure switch and the VCM

If 12v not present, then check for 12v present on the light blue wire at high pressure switch. If present, replace the high pressure switch. if not, then check for 12v at the light blue wire at the ac control switch. If present, repair light blue wire.

VCM location and C3 connector location

graphic

C3 connector pinout

graphic
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience: Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician/JA Mentor
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Eric, the#1 pin on C-3 connector has 12 volts, I would like to jump this wire can you tell me where the a/c relay (cavity #2) is or give me a diagram of it Please.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
I 'm asking for more information on the answer as to where the a/c relay(cavity #2) location is because I could not see it in the answer that was sent to me.
Expert:  Eric replied 10 months ago.

ac relay is in the engine compartment fuse/relay box

let me see if I have a diagram of its location in the fuse/relay box or have a connector pinout for fuse/relay box wiring connectors
Expert:  Eric replied 10 months ago.

relay location

graphic

the wire you want, the dark green/white wire for cavity 2 on the relay is in the c2 connector, at pin location B4, on back of fuse box

Expert:  Eric replied 10 months ago.

ok, last 2 didnt come out. here they are again

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here