Gary
Gary, Technician
Experience:  GM master tech for 15 years/ASE master tech for 20 years
19513769

The check engine light came on “cylinder 3 misfire”. The spark

The check engine light came on “cylinder 3 misfire”. The spark plug, coil, & injector were moved the computer still shows the “cylinder 3 misfire”. There is loud tappet noise at start up. What is the possible problem?
Submitted: 11 months ago via CarComplaints.com.
Category: Car
Expert:  Gary replied 11 months ago.
Welcome! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to assist you with this problem.
can you tell me year,make and model and engine size ?
can you preform a compression test on # XXXXX cylinder ?
the sound of loud tappets is usually a sign of a valve problem,lifter problem or cam shaft problem
with any of those will cause a cylinder to skip
i will bet the noise tappet will be # XXXXX cylinder
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

2008 Chyrsler Sebring 3.5 V6 47000 miles

Expert:  Gary replied 11 months ago.
first thing you have to do is take a compression test on all the cylinders
and with the noise and # XXXXX skipping its going to more than likey be a valve train issue causing this problem and will need to be disassembled to find the exact problem
but like i said with the noise and the skip they are more than likey related
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

You just stated the obvious – I had hoped you could be more specific – like a lifter or cam failed.

Expert:  Gary replied 11 months ago.
without the valve cover being pulled i could only guess as to which one is cauing this as i have seen all 3 do this noise and cause a misfire
as for being specific i was as spefic as i can be at this poitn with what i stated a valve train issue/failing
cam,lifters or poosilby the top of the valve worn down or a broken valve spring
the most common i have seen was cam and lifters
either way you slice it the valve covers needs to come off next and focus on # XXXXX valves,lifters and cam lobes
Gary, Technician
Experience: GM master tech for 15 years/ASE master tech for 20 years