Pete, Mechanic
Experience:  15 years automotive training and experience.
14928985

Jaguar x type sport premium DCI: 2007 jaguar X-TYPE Reg LC07

Customer Question

2007 jaguar X-TYPE Reg LC07 DWK, Problem it is blowing a grey-blue smoke out of the tail pipe, it seems to only fireing on 3 cylenders, also there seems be knocking sound, there is no oil in the water, or water in the oil. e mailXXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Category: Car
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a professional here at Just Answer/Pearl. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

Has anything been tested or checked for this issue at all or was anything done on the vehicle recently that may have caused this issue?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes I still need help. I went to use the car monday a. m. the car would not start, it normally starts 1st time, after a couple of try,s the car started, it looked like a scene from the keystone cops smoke all over the place,I turned off the ignition checked oil ok, checked water ok. no smoke under the bonnet, thats about all I can tell you

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Does this smoke have a sweet smell to it at all that you have noticed or does it smell like oil burning?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Not too sure i'll go and check and get back to you.thanks T.H.C.

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
O.k.,let me know.

Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

the smoke has a slight smell of oil.

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
O.k.,this is what I thought it would smell like since it is a gray blue color.This indicates the engine is burning oil and is pretty severe.

With an engine misfire as well as the knock noise and smoke this sounds like possibly piston rings that may have failed here or cylinder wall damage to one or more of the cylinders causing this fault.

Make sure your engine oil level isn't over full as this can cause misfires and smoke as well.If this is o.k. then further inspection within the engine is most likely needed to locate the cause of all of these here to see what needs done to repair this fault.

Thanks Pete
Pete, Mechanic
Experience: 15 years automotive training and experience.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

I am following up with you to see if you still needed help with your question you had asked.If my help didn't satisfy your question please let me know so we can continue.

Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

if you can remember
my problem , you asked me what the smoke was like and i answered it had slight oily smell, my son paid me a visit today and i asked him to smell the smoke and he said it had a sweet smell, thanks Tom

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Are you burning/using coolant at all?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No, oil and water levels seem ok

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
O.k.,most likely this isn't coolant being burned off in the engine then as usually this would cause coolant loss.