Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.
14928985

Nissan Gu Patrol: My nissan patrol y61 zd30 turbo diesel lost

My nissan patrol y61 zd30 turbo diesel lost power and is blowing black smoke. It seems to shake alot more and engine doesn't sound the same. I put my pedal to the floor and i'd say i could walk faster than the vehicle is traveling. Would it be a blown out piston, blown head gasket or gasket itself?
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a professional here at Just Answer/Pearl. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

With black smoke and a loss of power this can be caused by one or more fuel injectors at fault to where to much fuel is entering the engine.

I would start with having the fuel injectors tested to see if one or more are found at fault.If one or more are found at fault in most cases the affected injectors need replaced to correct this here.

Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Can an injector just die all of a sudden after driving 3hrs on the highway and cause the engine to shake alot more than usual?

Yes,I have seen injectors fail mechanically and allow to much fuel to enter the engine at any time while driving as well as debris from the fuel cause an injector to fail.

Injector failure can be a common cause for what is described here as I have seen on several diesel models and had to replace before to correct issues like this.

Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thankyou very much for your insight, if this is the problem, could you give me a rough estimate of what i'd be expecting to pay for a job like this. Also i did add injector cleaner probably just under two months ago.

Unfortunately my info doesn't list the cost for injectors or injector replacement on this model here.I have seen some run as low as $300 parts and labor and some over $1000 depending on what is involved with replacement.You might be able to contact a local shop or dealer to get a closer estimate on the cost.I would have these tested first to see if this is the cause for sure before having any replaced.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my service when your ready.

Thanks Pete

I am following up with you to see if you still needed help with your question you had asked.If my help didn't satisfy your question please let me know so we can continue.

Thanks Pete