Gary
Gary, Technician
Experience:  GM master tech for 15 years/ASE master tech for 20 years
19513769

my toyota yaris 2006 suddenly starts dropping speed on the

my toyota yaris 2006 suddenly starts dropping speed on the highway. at about 40kph it starts picking up speed again, an will go for a long distance without any problems. we make a few long trips, about 500km four times a month. it happens about 1 or two times per trip. about two years now. can you please help me?
Welcome! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to assist you with this problem.
when its dropping speed do you mean the engine will rev up and the car not go any faster ?
or the engine will loose power?
does the check engine light come on ?
what makes it better and what makes it worse as in if you pull over and turn it off and start it back up it will be fine for a while ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

hi Gary. the engine just loose power. you can pump the pedal, but nothing happens. then all of a sudden it picks up speed again like normal

Martin will the check engine light come on ?
any certain speed it will do this at when it acts up ?
how long has it been doing this ?
was any done recently to this car that the problem started acting up after ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the check engine light dont come on. it happens at normal 110 to 120 kmh and drop speed to about 30 to 40kmh. nobody worked on the car.

Ok Martin.since the check engine light does not come on i would have a shop test for any codes in the computer
if there are any history codes those code charts must be followed
the odds are there are no codes in the computer and if there is not we have to go after 2 basics i have seen cause this kind of problem
1) remove the MAF sensor and with MAF cleaner spray clean the MAF allot of times some debris can get into the MAF and send a wrong air flow reading to the computer and cause this problem
2)ensuring the connections on the gas pedal assembly and the throttle body are clean and tight and also the possibility of something as simple of dirty/loose battery cables
there are no recalls for this kind of problem or any service bulletins for this problem
like i said if there are codes in the computer those codes will tell us where the problem is
if no codes those basics are usually the problem causing this kind of problem