sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience

Type your question here.

Type your question here.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

It sounds like the window is going up part of the way but not fully?

There would only be a couple possibilities if the glass does pop open but won't go up all the way.

It could be a hinge issue or it could be a strut issue. Internal damage to the struts or a rust ring built up on the struts can cause them to not fully extend.

With a helper to hold the glass open it part way and pop the struts off the glass. If the glass will then open all the way then you've got a strut problem.

If you still aren't able to get the glass open all the way with the struts disconnected then most likely the problem is with one or both of the hinges.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

my struts are not attached to the glass,one end is attached to the hatch frame the other to the truck frame

Sorry for the delay, I'm a full time tech and at work this morning.

I'm showing that there should be struts between the liftgate and glass to hold it up when it's open? If there are no struts to hold it open what does yours have?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

my struts hold the liftgate only not the glass,it feels like there is some sort of spring type action that holds the glass open but I don't see where,the liftgate stays up so there is no issue there just the glass section,Dave

Do you have your VIN handy?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The service and parts information for your vehicle shows it to have struts that hold the glass up.

Are the hinges just normal, plain hinges?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

looks like 2 of them at the top,I can send you pictures if you tell me to where?

Yes, absolutely. If you can take a picture of the top hinge area and then just a picture of the back of the vehicle with the glass open if possible that would be great.

On the top of the text box that you type in there is a toolbar, just to the right of center there is a paperclip icon. If you click on this you can upload pictures to me.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My son-law just came over and I showed him my problem and he showed me where the struts for the glass we hidden in the frame under the glass,I never tried to lift the glass as much as I could to see them,so Thanks so much for your help and sorry to have wasted so much of your time,Dave

No need to be sorry and you haven't wasted any of my time at all!