Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.
14928985

Volvo C70 T5: Volvo C70 convertible - top stops about 8 inches

Volvo C70 convertible - top stops about 8 inches from windshield, goes no further. Able to close back etc. Will try again at a later time after having driven car and it will open and close just fine. Eventually the problem reoccurs with a repeat of won't work, then works etc. Have had to Volvo dealership twice for problem; 1st time they glued rubber strip at boot...worked fine once, took back, 2nd time they re-glued strip and checked calibration, said worked perfectly, dealership said kept opening and closing, no problem. Brought car home, able to put top up and down one time... back to the same problem
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a professional here at Just Answer/Pearl. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

Volvo has released a bulletin for roof operation faults and in the bulletin some wiring needs inspected to see if it is cut into or damaged causing this fault.This can cause an intermittent issue like this here where the top may work for a certain amount of time possibly and then act up if the wiring grounds out intermittently.If the dealer did not inspect the wiring for the top this needs done.

There are also micro switch sensors that can act up or fail intermittently and fail to give the position of the roof properly which can cause the roof to stop as well.When the roof acts up the switch/sensor signals need checked/tested to see if this is the cause here needing replaced.

Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Would you recommend taking the car to a different Volvo dealership?

Since the fault is more noticeable now the dealer you took it to should be able to locate and correct the fault.If you feel they would not be able to do this based on what had happened with them in the past it would be a good idea to have another dealer if possible look into this issue.

If it were me I might take it elsewhere since this dealer sounds like they were unable to locate the fault.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here when your ready.

Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Appreciate your help. Do you have the bulletin number so I can make reference when I talk to service? One thing they kept saying to me is, "the calibration is normal, we've checked it many times and it's been fine". Does this have anything to do with identifying possible wire damage or breakage?

Unfortunately my info doesn't list the bulletin number.

The bulletin does say to check wiring for the roof operation system due to it can become damaged and cause an intermittent or inop stage for the roof itself.The dealer should have access to the bulletin info they just have to look it up.

Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK, and what about the term 'calibration' in relation to the top include?

Calibration is the settings the computer learns on the top position,if uncalibrated then the computer doesn't recognize the positions of the top and can cause issues but if it has been checked and found o.k. they need to move on further with some checks and testing especially any wiring for sensors and the control unit to make sure they are o.k. and to locate the fault here.

Thanks Pete

I am following up with you to see if you still needed help with your question you had asked.If my help didn't satisfy your question please let me know so we can continue.

Thanks Pete