Randall C
Randall C, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  32 years Foreign / Domestic Cars All aspects of Diag and Repair

Land rover Defender 90: 94 defender 90 starts to overheat when

Customer Question

94 defender 90 starts to overheat when at idle with ac on during summer in Phoenix AZ. Replaced thermostat with proper one. Fans work fine and it has an added electric fan. Thinking it may be the water pump?
Category: Car
Expert:  Randall C replied 3 years ago.
Hello, I am Randall. I have reviewed your question and working on it now.
A failing water pump is not my first call on this one, Sure, the impeller could? be worn but I have yet to see this problem on this engine
By description and knowing what you have done and tried. I lean to a partially blocked radiator
By design, the inside of the radiator has many tubes as you know however, they do NOT run in a loop/coil
They run horizontal fron tank to tank and say 40% of them could be blocked and 60% are ok but just not allowing enough coolant to circulate with 40% blocked
Additives? flush? they generally just do not work, the deposits blocking the tubes is hard, crusty and flushing just does not break it away
The proper fix is to change out the radiator
I can NOT promise this will work but IS a test and is not 100% conclusive
Get the engine hot, AC on, temp starting to rise at idle and hose down the front of the radiator with cold water from a hose. Spray all around the radiator
If temp starts to drop, even if slight? then likely this has confirmed bad radiator