Chris, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  43 years of automotive repair, Smog license

isuzu NPR: how do I bleed air out of the hydraulic clutch circuit

Customer Question

how do I bleed air out of the hydraulic clutch circuit in a 1997 Isuzu NPR? I have followed the instructions in the service manual which are typical of brakes and clutches: attach hose to bleed screw on clutch slave cylinder, place end of hose in jar of clean fluid, fill reservoir, open bleed screw, press clutch pedal - hold it down. close bleed screw. release clutch pedal. repeat until no bubbles come out of hose. my problems are; clutch pedal is not releasing - it must be manually lifted up, second - neither air nor fluid seems to be coming out of bleed valve, third - no fluid seems to be entering clutch master cylinder, fourth - clutch pedal is not activating clutch.
Category: Car
Expert:  Chris replied 3 years ago.
Welcome! My name is XXXXX XXXXX you for allowing me to assist you! Sounds like you are doing the procedure correctly. If what you are saying is true, then the clutch master cylinder is defective. I say that because no fluid is being drawn from the reservoir and into the master cylinder. Replace the master cylinder and then do the procedure again.
. I hope this information helps, and let me know if you need further assistance with this.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

a failed master cylinder sounds like a possibility, but i'm not sure if this is the most likely one. originally a clutch line failed (rusted out). the failed section was easy to find because the fluid was sprayed on the frame and all over the ground. prior to the line failure the clutch was working perfectly. after I replaced the leaky section of clutch line I was unable to bleed the line; a few bubbles and some fluid came out the hose but the clutch pedal would not return to the "up"/normal" position. I am just a little surprised that the line and the master cylinder would fail right after one another.

Expert:  Chris replied 3 years ago.
Mark I tend to agree with you. Maybe some dirt got into the port inside of the master cylinder, so consider that. The other thing it may be is that the rod from the pedal to the cylinder is not allowing the piston in the cylinder to come back far enough and pick up fluid from the reservoir. Try loosening up the mounting nuts to allow for a little slack in the rod and try bleeding it again. If this does not help, then get a new master cylinder.

Expert:  Chris replied 3 years ago.
I see that you rated my service as poor.. just wondering why. I would like to continue to assist you and help figure this out . Is there anything else I can help you with to fix this problem?