EricFromCT
EricFromCT, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master certified L1, L2, Diesel Certified 16 years experience
34559540

Accord EX: My daughter has a 2001 Honda Accord Ex 2.3 ULEV

My daughter has a 2001 Honda Accord Ex 2.3 ULEV Cal. Emissions. I was getting an EVAP code. I went by the Haynes testing procedure, to test the Shutoff valve that sits on the canister. It requires the ignition to be on. Long story short, I fried the PCM. I obtained an exact used replacement from my local foreign auto salvage yard here in central NJ. My question do I need to have the PCM flashed??? or just have a locksmith come and program her PCM, with the Immobilizer code.
Hi. It is possible that the pcm was fried by ground or suppling power on the incorrect circuit. But first, do you guys check to make sure that no fuses were blown?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No I haven't check for any blown fuses. My relative said there were none between that circuit and the PCM. I was skeptical, but went on what he said. Yes using the muti-meter I believe I grounded the circuit, because the key was in the on position.

Ok. I will still check for blown fuses. But now that you have a new pcm in, what you need to do is reset the PCM by the following procedure : Turn the ignition switch OFF, and remove the No.13 CLOCK BACKUP fuse (7.5 A ) (A) from the passenger's under-dash fuse/relay box (B) for 10 seconds. Then after that, yes, a locksmith or dealer needs to program the immobilizer in the pcm to the ignition key. Thanks, Eric
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Eric,

Just to clarify. First I will check for blown fuses, any specific ones??? Second this is a used PCM, and my daughter's battery has been disconnected for a week. Should I reattach the cables, and still follow that procedure???

No, I am not sure what wires you were probing, but I would check all the fuses under the hood and inside the car with a test light hooked up to battery negative. AND the battery hooked up and the key ON. I would still follow the procedure listed to reset the pcm. The PCM has memory that will stay unless the certain fuse mentioned is removed while the battery is hooked up.