sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

Infiniti: subaro 2001 . The door locks are working remotely

subaro 2001 . The door locks are working remotely but as soon as you pess open it opens and then closes straight away. What IS WRONG?

2001 Subaru legacy. 

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Is this happening on all doors or just one?

If it's happening on a single door this is usually caused by a mechanical issue either in the door lock actuator or linkage in the door physically pulling it back to the lock position after unlocking. If it is only happening on one door then I would recommend removing that door panel and making sure nothing is binding any linkage, if all looks ok then the actuator will be the issue.

If this is happening on all doors then it's going to be an electrical issue, unless of course each door started at a separate time.

The door lock switches and keyless entry are an input to the remote keyless entry (RKE) module. The RKE module is what then controls the door lock actuators. If the module is seeing one of the power lock switches is in stuck in the lock position it could cause this, or if the module is failing internally it will cause it also.

It could be possible that you have an electrically stuck button on the key fob also. If you have more than one fob take the battery out of the one that was acting up and try unlocking the doors with the second fob. If the problem is still there then you should be able to rule out a fob issue.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

where is the RKE module ? How can I check it ?

It is all four doors at the same time . I removed the door driver side and unplugged the plug at the bottom right . It was when I plugged it back and tested the locks when this started happening.

The RKE module is located behind the glovebox opening, the higher of the two modules found when the glovebox is removed. There isn't a way to check the module itself, diagnostics would require ruling out other potential causes and then condemning the module.

Try a battery disconnect if you haven't already, internal module problems will sometimes go away at least temporarily after a battery disconnect.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have tried a battery disconnect and it is still doing the same.

Do you think I should get a new RKE module or not ?

If I take the module out what will happen ?

If you take the RKE module out then you won't have keyless entry or power door lock functions.

If the problem happened seemingly as a result of removing the driver's door then you might go back and unplug the driver's door harness and see if the problem goes away, and take a look at the connector terminals at the same time. If the RKE module is seeing a lock switch pressed all the time because of a bad switch or wiring problem then it's going to lock the doors immediately when they are unlocked.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

There is nothing behind the glove box. Just the aircon ?

2001 subaru legacy B4

Once the glovebox is removed the module will be up and to the right, not directly behind the opening.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have disconnected the plug and still the same ?

Should I take it for a dianostic or should I buy a new Rke module?

Or is there something els I can look at or do ?

I'd rule out a key fob issue and at least have a look at the driver's door wiring connections and try unpluging the door again before replacing the module. If you have a voltmeter or test light you can make sure there is no ground at the module on the lock switch circuit and rule that out.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I will do so . And let you know . I am a electritian so I dont think it will be a problem Will let you know

Sounds great!