Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

chev k1500: My 96 chev. truck will not shift out of 1st in

Customer Question

My 96 chev. truck will not shift out of 1st in drive, but can man. shift from 1st-2nd. no 2-3 shift or no skip to forth. 3-4 clutch pack is ok. scanner doesn't comm. to trans and only does engine 1 and o2 sensor. OTC Genesis scanner. in codes I have test passed but I'm still thinking electrical. I pulled the trans and went through it. The 3-4s had been slipping but would have lived if I found the problem before pulling it. Of course, checked all the fuses and some wiring. Just logged in here to check it out, so why not ask first and see what you think while I check it out too. This truck's a peach but I'd like to fix it for them!
Category: Car
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 11 months ago.

Tim's Auto Repair :

Hi,My name is Tim,

I will do my best to assist you

Tim's Auto Repair :

do you ever have a problem with the gear indecator in the dash not lighting up?

Tim's Auto Repair :

when the 3-4 is out it will shift like into neutral when it is time to shift to 3rd

Tim's Auto Repair :

tell me all you can

Tim's Auto Repair :

are you there?

Customer:

This one is a manual indicator but has the switch on the side like the digital ones and harness looks correct. Speedo has quit, but they said the trans. was shifting after that.

Tim's Auto Repair :

if the nspeedometer has quit ansd it isnt shifting

Tim's Auto Repair :

your speed sensor is bad

Tim's Auto Repair :

the 4l60 wont shift without the speed signal

Tim's Auto Repair :

are you still there?

Customer:

Well, you would think, but my scanner won't comm. to see what the PCM is thinking. You know what, The transfer case was dry as well, I'll check the speed sensor tomorrow. Like I said though, they said it shifted when speedo quit

Tim's Auto Repair :

does you scanner show the speed of the truck..mph?

Customer:

NO, I can't comm. with those areas. All I can is engine 1 and it doesn't have mph

Tim's Auto Repair :

so...your scanner doesnt show mph?

Customer:

Abs light is on and I can comm. there. It's saying all the speed sensors are bad. Yes my scanner usually shows most all needed but the trans data and other engine data doesn't show anything " NO DATA "

Tim's Auto Repair :

it may just be your scanner not reading

Tim's Auto Repair :

if the abs and the speedometer isnt working

Tim's Auto Repair :

it doesnt have a speed signal

Tim's Auto Repair :

i would think the speed sensor

Tim's Auto Repair :

or the wiring to the sensor

Customer:

I think I've taken on another can of worms! I actually tried two scanners. The first my Mac Mentor and then my 09' genesis. I'll do some more checking tomorrow

Tim's Auto Repair :

yes

Tim's Auto Repair :

again

Tim's Auto Repair :

the sensor not working will do both

Tim's Auto Repair :

the brake light and the speedometer

Tim's Auto Repair :

not to work

Tim's Auto Repair :

also,,sense the transfer case has been hot,,

Tim's Auto Repair :

the reluctor that the sensor picks up on may be bad

Tim's Auto Repair :

again,,the transmission will not shift without a signal

Tim's Auto Repair :

If you are satisfied with my answer,Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work..I'm not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feed back ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, ,please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help

Customer:

I'll check that tomorrow I'm printing off wiring diag. too.

Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience: Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.