Roy
Roy, import/domestic specialest
Experience:  ASE master tech for 40 years

frieghtliner /mecedes sprinter: ihave a frieghtliner sprinter

ihave a frieghtliner sprinter van with the diesel engine and i am hearing a sporadic rattling sound at top front of engine. could it be the timing chain tensioner?
Category: Car
Expert:  Roy replied 10 months ago.

good morning my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will assist you today

In our fleet of lux limos we have several Sprinters with the v6 diesel. we have many issues with the belts and tensioners making squeeking noises and tapping noises as well. I suggest you remove the belts and run the motor to see if the noise is still present. If it is then it could be the guides or tensioner. if the noise is gone then the noise is external and you will have to check the serp belts, tensioners, all pulleys and accessories for the possible source of the noise.

Roy

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

would a timing chain tensioner failure allow for these tinny clicking sounds?

Expert:  Roy replied 10 months ago.

yes, it is very possible but eliminate the the others first before assuming this.

How many miles on the motor???

Roy

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

323k has been the best truck . just started this sound and seems to be mostly at idle. engine has had synthetic oil changes a 4000 miles it whole life. the sound seems to be in that area. serpentine belt has been replaced. thanks

Expert:  Roy replied 10 months ago.

ok, good, the belt was done. I would still remove it and run it to be sure.

Has any work been done on the timing chain??? Lot of miles for the timing chain.

Roy

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

no work on timing chain. that's why i thought maybe the tensioner. what do you suggest? if the tensioner is the problem is it ok to drive to shop?

Expert:  Roy replied 10 months ago.

I cannot hear it from hear so it is difficult for me to say. If it is not that loud and performs ok, take it to a shop and have them check it first. Let them tell you the failure before just telling them to replace the guides and tensioners.

how far is the shop??

Roy

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

10 miles. i understand not just replace without looking at other possibilities. i have a good ol' mechanic friend i will have take a listen before taking to shop

Expert:  Roy replied 10 months ago.

good, dont want you to spend more than you need too. keep me updated. you can still contact me after you rate me at any time.

Roy

Roy, import/domestic specialest
Experience: ASE master tech for 40 years