Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  17 years experience as a auto mechanic,foreign and domestic.5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

Ferrari Berlinetta: I just lost my 2nd 4th and 6th gears in

I just lost my 2nd 4th and 6th gears in my 1999 355 F1 Berlinetta. How bad is it ? I was reving just past 8000 rpm and shifted to 2nd and felt the tires break then suddenly it hesitated and hopped in back with the rpm rapidly decreasing and increasing from 6500 - 8000 for a split second when I let off. After regaining my self I noticed that I had no 2nd 4th and 6th. I then pulled both paddles back to but it in neutral and it showed neutral but died. when I cycled the ignition it showed neutral and then started. It was like neutral in the gears mentioned. 2 miles later at home it stalled when I put it in neutral again however, with the car of and the ignition on when I cycled in to 1st gear it made a strange clunking sound then eventually engaged in gear. This was with the car not running.

Category: Car
Expert:  Mike Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Hi,my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will assist you with your question.
The vehicle will not move at all now or only has first gear?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Since then I I have just cycled the gears with the engine off and tried to roll the car back and forward just a few feet.

1. When I cycled from neutral to 1st it seemed to shift from the sound of it and was indeed gear.

2. When I put the transmission in neutral it was still engaged in a gear.

3. When I selected in 2nd gear it was able to roll like neutral.

I then started the engine and did the same thing and was able to engage 1st and pull it forward however, when I selected neutral it died as if it were engaged in a gear. When it was running I had no 2nd 4th and 6th gears it was as if it were in neutral. I did some research on the F1 transmission from a manual and there is hydraulic actuators controlling the clutch stroke and the gear engagement and selection movements. I forgot to mention the I discovered I don't have a reverse either

Expert:  Mike Kelly replied 1 year ago.
The 6-speed gearbox does use hydraulic actuators attached to the transmission's mechanical systems so that up shifts and down shifts were accomplished by tugging paddles situated just behind the steering wheel however the issue that you are describing does not sound consistent with a failed actuator.The issue that you are having sounds like a internal transmission failure,this sounds like a shift fork has broken or popped out of position.If this is the case the transmission will have no choice but to be removed and opened up for repair.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

With the loss of 4 out of 7 gears R, 2nd, 4th and 6th and the fact that I don't have a neutral all the time (when selected the car initially dies when running, when not running feels engaged in a gear however the only way to get the car in neutral is cycle gearbox into second and it will disengage gear) could this be more of a disengaged fork? meaning would you lose all those gears? If the fork has broken would you have a sound internally in the gearbox? The same thing happens if the car is running. neutral will stall the motor but cycling to 2nd gear then neutral will disengage the gear.

Expert:  Mike Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Yes. I believe the fork has come loose and slightly out of position I don't believe the fork has broken as if the fork had broken there would likely be no gears at all or stuck in a gear. The fork is held in place be metal clips and from the sounds of this the clip has broken allowing the fork to not be secure.
Mike Kelly, Auto Mechanic
Experience: 17 years experience as a auto mechanic,foreign and domestic.5 years running my own repair business.
Expert:  Mike Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Let me know if you need further assistance,thank you.