Pete, Mechanic
Experience:  15 years automotive training and experience.
14928985

Porsche Cayenne Turbo S: 2009 Cayenne Turbo S. Parked the

2009 Cayenne Turbo S. Parked the vehicle, next day won't start. Turn key with brake depressed and all the clicks and buzzes sound normal but doesn't roll over. Tried battery charger over night, didn't suspect that but wanted to eliminate a possible low voltage requirement? Ideas? 32,000 klms.  I do my own oil changes and I had been getting a "service now" message that I was ignoring assuming it just needs to be re set.  Every other operational aspect of the vehicle had ben 100 percent normal 

Category: Car
Expert:  Rachel-Mod replied 12 months ago.

I'm Rachel, and I’m a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the professionals to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from one of the professionals.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question.

Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Health, Pets, Computers, Cars, Finance, Law, to Home Improvement, and more.

Thank you,

Rachel

Expert:  Pete replied 12 months ago.
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a professional here at Just Answer/Pearl. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

From what you have described here this may be a fault with the starter itself as I have seen these fail in the past and cause this issue.If the signals to the starter solenoid have not been tested this should be done to see if this is the case here.If found at fault the starter would need replaced.

If this has been checked and found o.k. let me know and we can continue.

Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

Here is a crazy twist! After sitting for several days, for shits and giggles I tried it again and it started! It has started every time I have tried it since but I don't feel confident that it is resolved so I haven't driven it much. What the hell? One other piece of information, two days prior to the no start issue I ran through one of the heaviest and longest down pours I have ever experienced in my life. Is it possible that four days later after having driven the vehicle several hundred kilometers that this could be a factor? I asked the question to determine what I might do to get it to a Porsche dealer as it is under warranty but now will they be able to detect an issue if it is functioning? I'm guessing it wouldn't store a fault because it wasn't running?

Expert:  Pete replied 12 months ago.
If this fault occurred after the heavy rain the starter may have gotten wet which can cause this and now after it has sat it has dried out somewhat and is operating again.The fault may never occur again but in other cases the water may have damaged the starter some what and it may need replaced.I still suspect this is the starter itself since this occurred after the rain fall.

You are correct,if the dealer were to check/test it now it would test properly with no trouble found making it difficult to diagnose which component has caused this issue.

If the fault does come back though I would have this checked/tested right away this way the fault is located.

I suspect this was/is the starter itself at fault.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help when your ready.

Thanks Pete
Pete, Mechanic
Experience: 15 years automotive training and experience.