Gary, Technician
Experience:  GM master tech for 15 years/ASE master tech for 20 years

I just replaced my 1.3 engine with remanufactured motor and

I just replaced my 1.3 engine with remanufactured motor and it starts and runs fine timing is set at 10 degrees I also replaced fuel filter no improvement disconected the exhaust from exhaust manafold to see if it would run better no change in performance. I don't think the carberator is the problem but that"s about all I have left to check. I have a feeling is is something simple but I am at a lose any ideas? David

Welcome! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to assist you with this problem.

so what exactly is this doing ?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

mostly loss of power. RPM's are okay has trouble climing a moderate incline. with the air conditioning on 45 to 50 mpg is best it will do.

is it bogging down the more you floor it ?

and this is a complete remanufactured engine just using the original carburetor ?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes to both questions

that timing is set at 10 degrees BTDC ?

you eliminated a restricted exhaust correct ?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

when its bogging down is it pinging ?

if you put that timing at 14 degrees how will it run ?

im sorry for all the questions

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It does not ping. I did advance the timing and did not really see an improvement.

at idle if you apply vacuum to the vacuum advance will the RPM go up ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I will try this and get back to you. I have to work an a couple other projects before I can get to it. I am also going to pull the EGR value and check see if it is open. will get back to you as soon as possible.

I think your down to a vacuum advance problem , bad distributor or possibly the carburetor

if it doesn't rev up when vacuum is applied the advance or the distributor is bad

if it revs up see if when you rev up the truck the advance gets vacuum at the vacuum hose at the advance

it should get vacuum as you rev it up

90% of the time with a poser issue like this the timing is not being advanced