Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.
14928985

Suzuki XL7: I have a Suzuki XL7 and getting llowing codes

Customer Question

I have a Suzuki XL7 and getting the following codes P0458, P0010, P0020, P0013, P0023, P2088, P2092, P2090, P2094, and P0031. Should I start with having the cam position sensors changed. Also, the trunk is not opening. I saw where it was suggested to change the fuse in position 4. Do you have a schematic that shows the position 4 sensor in the fuse box.
Category: Car
Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.
My name is Pete and I am a professional here at Just Answer/Pearl. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

Is this a 2wd or 4wd vehicle?

If you clear out the codes/erase the codes do they come right back again when running the engine?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hello Pete. Thanks for responding. I believe this is a two wheel drive. The codes were erased and came back. I know the car isn't running steady. Almost feel like it's missing but there is not code to verify that. Are you familiar with the codes I listed? I really need help trying to figure out what to do? Do I just go ahead and purchase 4 camshaft position sensors? Please direct me.
Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.
O.k.,locate the fuse EMM DEV 1 fuse #17 which is a 15 amp fuse located in the under hood fuse box.This fuse provides the voltage for all of the components that have set the fault codes here.If this fuse is blown it needs replaced to correct this issue.If this fuse is not blown and it does have battery voltage on it with the key on let me know.

Thanks Pete
Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.

I am following up with you to see if you still needed help with your question you had asked.If my help didn't satisfy your question please let me know so we can continue.

Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I will have to follow the steps from your last reply and get back to you. Should be today or tomorrow.
Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.
Sounds good.Let me know what you come up with here.

Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I had a mechanic take a look at the vehicle and he suggested I change the camshaft actuator solenoid valve. Where can I find this part? Does it seem like changing this part will help?
Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.
I apologize for the delay.

I have seen these fail before and if he had diagnosed the fault properly then this should be replaced and can cause this issue here.This isn't uncommon to fail and cause this and if diagnosed right should correct the fault.

You usually have to obtain this kind of part from a dealers parts department but you can check locally with local parts stores to see if they carry or can obtain this part you need.

Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Pete I appreciate your help.

I just called the Suzuki dealer and asked for the price of a Camshaft Position Actuator Solenoid Valve and the parts guy could not find it. I am looking in the Service manual and I see the procedure to remove and install this part. Why is the Suzuki dealer not finding this part.

He can find the Camshaft Position Sensor but this is not the same part that the mechanic is saying needs to be replaced. Please your comments on this.

Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.
The technical name for this is called the cam shaft position actuator solenoid or CMP actuator solenoid.My info doesn't list a part number for this as well and it may be the parts guy wasn't able to locate it due to the way it was described possibly or he didn't know what he was looking up as I have run across several times before.There are 4 of these actuator solenoids so you want to make sure you get the one the mechanic had said you need here.

Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Is this part the same thing as the oil control valve. I went to a parts store with the Suzuki service manual and they said that is the oil control valve. I actually do not see this part in the service manual so I am guessing that it is the same part.

Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.
I apologize for the delay.

They may call this the oil control valve or solenoid as oil is used in conjunction with it.

Thanks Pete