sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 14 years dealership experience
9825021

Jeep KJ: Hi, I have a CRD 2.8L 2005 Jeep. Until recently it

Hi, I have a CRD 2.8L 2005 Jeep. Until recently it started on the first turn, now however it takes 5 - 10 cranks to get it to start and its rough for the first minute or so then runs OK. After warming up it still takes about 5 cranks to start. I have had it down to the Jeep service agent but they don't seem to be getting anywhere after two days. I'm sure its not the battery as this has been checked, any suggestions?
Thanks
Category: Car
Expert:  Greg replied 12 months ago.
Do you have any warning lights ON when the engine is running .

What was done by the garage .

Greg
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Hi Greg, no warning lights or fault codes. The garage won't say what they have checked, one of the reasons I'm so frustrated over the issue. They want the jeep back in two days and I'm not sure I want to go back without some information up my sleeve.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
BTW, I'm actually aut and about right now so I'm doing this over the phone
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Relist: Answer came too late.
Expert:  Rachel-Mod replied 12 months ago.

I’m Rachel, and I’m moderator for this topic. It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from another one of the professionals?

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question.

Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Health, Pets, Computers, Taxes, Cars, Finance, Law, to Home Improvement, and more.

Thank you,

Rachel

Customer: replied 12 months ago.

Hi Rachel,

I'm still looking for a constructive answer to my question.

No one has responded except Greg and as you can see we were still in the Q&A phase before any usefull info was passed to me.

Can you help?

Regards

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX continue to look for a professional to assist you. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance while you wait.

Best,

Rachel

Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 12 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

There are a few things that can cause this.

Before the injectors will turn on the ECM has to see a few thousand PSI in the fuel rail. If pressure is building slowly because of a weak high pressure pump, a weak transfer pump (inside the high pressure pump) or one or more leaking injectors then it will cause this.

More common though is a loss of prime on the supply side of the fuel system. If fuel drains out of the lines and back to the tank as the vehicle sits then it will be hard to start because it has to draw fuel back up from the tank.

The most common cause of a problem like you're having is a bad fuel filter mount. This contains the fuel heater and also the primer. There were some issues with the primers not sealing and allowing fuel to drain back causing hard starts. They were revised for this problems and I haven't seen one of the new ones cause an issue.

I've also seen fuel filters vibrate loose enough to cause fuel drainback but not leak enough fuel externally to drip on the ground.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Hi Srinkles08, like your plane, looks like a P40 flying Tigers era?
I understand what you are saying, is there anything else that could cause the leak back? The issue has survived two fuel filter replacements one in a standard service and the other because I'm going on a trip and I felt like it.
Thanks Ray
Yes, that's a P-40!

If the filter has been replaced twice then I'm sure it's not loose and causing this, but the mount isn't something that is replaced along with the filter. THe mount is the large metal piece that bolts to the firewall, contains the fuel heater and has the round primer handle on the top.

Another thing that could cause drainback would be a pinhole in the suction fuel line between the tank and filter, or between the filter and engine. Since the line is under suction when it's running it won't leak much if any fuel externally, but it will cause drainback while the engine is off.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Ok thanks I'm onto that. My understanding is:1st actionReplace fuel filter mountReplace fuel lines between the tank and filter mountReplace fuel lines between filter and pump2nd actionLook at low and high pressure pumpsLook at injectorsIs there anything that needs looking at around the tank and fuel line interface?Thanks RayPS I should say that this crd is 8 years old and never had this sort of issue, what are the chances is just a perished o ring or something like that?

If the filter mount is original and not the revised one then I'd recommend replacing it.

If that doesn't take care of it and a line issue is suspected then I would do a vacuum test on them to see if they'll hold vacuum, if one of them won't hold vacuum then you know it has a hole in it.

If you can get it to where you know fuel isn't draining back yet rail pressure is slow to build on startup then the injectors should be tested next, if they are ok then the high pressure pump can be condemned. These engines hit the US market almost nine years ago now and I can't recall ever having to replace a high pressure pump.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Great, thanks flying Tiger. Have a great day.
Cheers Ray
Have a great day yourself and good luck with your Jeep!
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 14 years dealership experience
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thanks for the offer of membership but I don't have enough issues to justify a membership (yet) maybe in the future.
Cheers Ray