Gary, Technician
Experience:  GM master tech for 15 years/ASE master tech for 20 years

Engine stopped running. While on the road it appeared like it was running out of gas. (the

Engine stopped running. While on the road it appeared like it was running out of gas. (there was plenty of gas) Thought maybe gas pump failed, did not. Replaced fuel injectors and replaced rotor and a small component on the side of the distributor and replaced wireing and spark plugs. Still will not start. What is keeping it from starting?

Welcome! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to assist you with this problem.

im sorry your having this problem

fuel pumps are the most common problem causing a no start and will act like its out of gas and or the fuel pump not running or low fuel pressure

but there are a few things we can check for to find out why it is not starting for you

do you have any carburetor cleaner or starting fluid on hand ?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I did prime the carburetor with gasoline. Did not start. I do not have any carburetor cleaner or starting fluid.

when cranking the engine over do you have spark at the plug wires where they connect to the spark plugs ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

this engine needs spark, fuel and compression to run

you confirmed spark so far

if you pull out a spark plug is it wet with fuel ?

do you have a test light ?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The test light showed that there is spark. No I did not pull out a spark plug to see if it is wet. If it is wet, then what?

if its wet either those plugs are wet and fouled or the compression is low

if they are dry we need to check for an injector pulse

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Those plugs are fairly new and the wires are new.

do you have any access to a compression tester?

if it has spark and you can confirm fuel pressure with a fuel pressure guage key on engine off @ 60 - 66 psi and holds

then you are down to compression low, fouled spark plugs

since it will not run by adding fuel the odds are its not lacking fuel

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So if it is not lacking fuel is it mostly likely fuel pressure. If that is the case, how do I bring up the fuel pressure?

can you connect a fuel pressure gauge to the test port on the fuel line next to the distributor and tell me what the fuel psi is reading key on engine off ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am not with my vehicle at this time but I will do what you suggest later. If the psi is not 60 - 66, does this mean that perhaps the fuel pump is weak? I have replaced this fuel pump before, about three years ago.

yes if the psi is under that then the pump is more than likely bad

also make sure the fuel filter is new and not plugged up