Pete, Mechanic
Experience:  15 years automotive training and experience.
14928985

Porsche Cayenne Turbo S: Hi,I have a Porsche Cayenne Turbo

I have a Porsche Cayenne Turbo S, it had engine light check , my friend plugged an ODB Tool and erased the error messages which were:
2187,2189,2177,2179. As soon as he erased them(while engine was running) the ECL Light went off. But the car started to shake like it is out of fuel. And then stopped. Now it won't start. Tries but won't start, like it is out of fuel.
Please help.
Thank you
Category: Car
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a professional here at Just Answer/Pearl. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

With the codes that were set here and from what is described this sounds like a possible fault with the electronic fuel pump itself that may have failed and is causing this.The codes set will set when there is a fault with a lean engine running condition.This can be caused by several things like a vacuum leak on the engine or possibly a faulty/weak fuel pump.In this case with a now no start issue I suspect the fuel pump itself may be at fault needing replaced.

I would have the fuel pressure tested to see if the pressure is found to be low and if found to be low on pressure then the fuel pump is most likely at fault needing replaced and is a common component to fail in some cases.

If the pressure has already been checked and found to be o.k. let me know and we can continue.

Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Pete,

We worked on it all day. English is not my native language, I might not know names of all the parts. We checked : Both Airflow meters found ok.

We checked all ignition coils, found ok. Changed all spark plugs.

When we reached the pump. We removed the rear seats, and found the two pumps. On of the tanks was almost empty and the other one almost full. The guy with us said that this is not normal. That the pump with the empty tank is failing. Some of the wires powering the pump had some tape on them, and appeared a bit weak. He put an extra wire to add some thickness and the car started with no problem. and kept at it for about 10seconds. I believe he then removed the wire and the car stopped. He is saying that the problem is the pump. And you re saying the same thing. But what I find intriguing is : How erasing a Check Engine Light could trigger the pump to fail? It happened instantly as soon as the erase button was pushed.

He has 2 spare pumps that he will bring tomorrow to replace the ones in the car now. I hope to hear from you soon. But you ve already been very helpful.

How do we test the fuel pressure?

Thank you

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
If the wiring to the pump was damaged or damaged from the pump drawing to many amps this will cause this issue here with the wiring at fault.I would have the wiring repaired as well as the affected pump replaced to correct this here.I have seen fuel pumps draw to many amps and cause this type of fault here and had to repair the wiring and replace the affected pump on some models.

On your vehicles fuel injector rail on top of the engine is a test port to thread on a fuel pressure tester to test the pressure.Your vehicles fuel pressure should be around 4.0 bar with the key on or engine running.(or around 58 psi)

I hope my info has helped and if you need anything else let me know.Feel free to rate my help when your ready.

Thanks Pete
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

I am following up with you to see if you still needed help with your question you had asked.If my help didn't satisfy your question please let me know so we can continue.

Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi

We changed the ignition coils but not with new ones, there is still a slight misfire (i don't know if that is the term). When you feel that the car is getting air instead of fuel. I ordered new ones with new spark plugs.(waiting for them to correct this)

The transmission in automatic mode doesn't get in 1st gear. When put in manual mode it goes to 1st without a problem. If in 1st as soon as you go back to automatic it goes to 2nd. The power steering shakes a little when car is at stop and you turn the steering Wheel, you feel a little vibration.

You ve already been of great help.

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Were any fault codes read out of the transmission computer at all using a scan tool that can communicate with it?

Let me know,thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi

Just plugged my ODB Scanner I get P1096 error code.

The car won't start. I am sure no fuel gets to the engine from the noise I hear. Like I said I put about 10 gallons in it last night.

The Fuel gauge shows empty tank

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
This sounds like a fault with the fuel pump and wiring as posted above causing the no start issue.If this hasn't been resolved yet this should be done to correct the no start issue.

Unfortunately P1096 doesn't come up in my code chart for this model,can you recheck this code number to verify this is the code set?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Checked again. 1096 P is for pending.

What about the 1st gear not going in? in automatic mode only?

And the steering vibration?

Thank you

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Was this first gear problem an issue before or when you first owned the vehicle or is this something new that has started to occur?

Is the vibration only felt when in gear (drive) when at a stand still with the engine running?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The first gear came up. It was not an issue before.

In manual it goes to first. So I belive transmission is ok.

The vibration is felt only when stand still . Not when in gear.

When still and accelerate it becomes almost unnoticeable.

When turning from left to right you see the tires shake a little when car is still.

Thank you

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
O.k.,with the vibration the first thing I would have checked over is the engine and transmission mounts to see if any are loose or damaged at all as this is a common cause for vibrations like this here.

As for the transmission shifting issue this may be a fault with an electronic shift solenoid or possibly an issue with the transmission valve body itself.This would need to be checked into further and best done by either a transmission repair facility or a dealer to locate the fault then repaired.

Thanks Pete
Pete, Mechanic
Experience: 15 years automotive training and experience.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Thanks Pete
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Thanks Pete