John, ASE Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician, ASE Certified Service Consultant, 22 years professional experience
19563796

spyder:electrical malfunction caused by dealship?

Customer Question

i had my starter replaced and now the windshield, door locking system and convertible top do not work. 

I need to know if the electrical systems that run these items are related to the starter.  And, if so, is it possible that someone at the dealership caused the convertible top, windshield wipers and door locking system to malfunction when they were repairing the starter.

The dealership's position is that these are age-related malfunctions.  I didn't have ANY issues with my wipers, top or lock prior to repair.  In fact, I had the top down immediately prior to repair so I know that was functioning properly.

Category: Car
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I don't have all the info on this vehicle in front of me at this time but if needed I will track it down. I see that your question has been posted for a while so I decided to share some initial thoughts with you. The starter obviously has a direct connection to the battery, so if the battery was not disconnected when the starter was replaced then there could have been a short during the repair that caused this. First, I would check ALL of the fuses. There may be more than one (or even more than 2) fuse boxes in your car. Treat them all with a test light. Each fuse should have 2 small test 'ports' on the top so you can put the point of the test light in them and check for power. A good fuse will have power on both, if power is only at one port then that fuse is blown. Second, if all the fuses are okay then there could have been damage done to some control module. I could see all of those components being controlled by the 'Body Control Module' (Maserati may have a different name for it). Either way, I think it is certainly possible that something happened during the repair. Testing the body control module will take some specialized equipment. Let me know how this goes for you and if needed I will locate the whirring info on this car and dig a little deeper.

John.
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

Sorry, I meant to say test (not treat) all the fuses with a test light.