Paul M ASE Master
Paul M ASE Master, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  Ase Master 20+ Years Experience Foreign and Domestic

isuzu trooper 3.2 v6: hi just bought a trooper 2000, 3.2 v6

hi
just bought a trooper 2000, 3.2 v6 dhoc. One moment it idles 100% and the next time i start the engine it just wont idle. take your foot of the accelerator and she dies. i tried cleaning the air flow meter and replaced air filter. runs well for few days, then does the same. Please help.

Herman (south africa)
Category: Car
Expert:  Paul M ASE Master replied 10 months ago.

Hello and thank you for using Just Answer

I'm Paul and I will help you with your Question

there is a common problem with the fuel pressure regulators leaking fuel into the vacuum line and causing a stall on startup.

I have seen this issue more once engine is warm and restarting

click here to view information on fuel pressure regulator causing intermitent stalling.

You would need to check for fuel in the vaccum line when the stall happens.

I would suspect fuel pressure regulator is bad

Remember to rate my answer positive so I get credit for my help.

If you need more help just log in to the site and reply the question will remain for follow up.

Paul

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Paul

it doesnt only happen when i start up. When i start up and i have to keep her idling using the accelerator, i have to do it during the whole trip.stopstreets etc. next time i start up she might be fine! Sticking with your answer? Thanks for the help.

Herman

the pressure regulator will usually stall it on start up and then clear up a bit

there are problems with intake manifold leaking also

can you identify when it happens?

like does it do it more on cold start in the morning? or after driving then shutting off and restarting?

after coming off the highway etc? any clue as to when it is happening can help point at the cause.

let me know if there is any additional details you can give. also is it running smooth when it stalls or does it seem to be running rough before the stalling

Paul

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Paul

more than a few times now it happened in the afternoon after work, while nothing happened in the morning when it was a bit colder. the FIRST time it happened was in the morning a month ago, was cold then. No extreme cold past 2 weeks. When i turn the key i immediately know if it is going to happen or not. just a slight more slowly to ignite. when i then drive the car it sounds much more erratic than when it started up normally. When there is no problem with the start up and no stalling, it purs like a kitten.

herman

sounds very intermitent

there are problems with the wiring harness between the ECM (Engine Control Module) and the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor)

this can cause intermitent stalling

have you plugged in with an OBD code reader at all?

normally this would trigger a couple of codes but is a very common failure.

click here for more test information

it may be hard to test if the problem is intermitent you should test the wires when the problem is occuring. also check for engine codes

Paul

Paul M ASE Master, ASE Master Tech
Experience: Ase Master 20+ Years Experience Foreign and Domestic