Master Tech Lee
Master Tech Lee, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  36 years Domestic and Import Electronics Diagnostic Tech

1993 impreza timing belt broke. replaced water pump and belt.

1993 impreza timing belt broke. replaced water pump and belt. Set all marks but it now sounds like only starter is engaging but no compression noise HELP!
Category: Car
Expert:  replied 7 months ago.

Leon Davidian, Sr. :

Welcome to justanswer.com. My name is XXXXX XXXXX online automotive technician. I am reading your comments. I will be right with you. Thank You, Leon

Leon Davidian, Sr. :

do you have the dual overhead cam or single? What size engine? 1.8?

Customer:

Its the 1.8 how do I tell the other

Customer:

Hello are you still with me

Leon Davidian, Sr. :

When you replaced the timing belt did you see two cam sprockets

Customer:

yes one on each side sorry

Leon Davidian, Sr. :

ok, that engine is an interference engine, not free wheeling. You will need to pull the head and have it checked out for bent valves-possible hole in piston.

Leon Davidian, Sr. :

Click Here
Full Size Image

Customer:

but shouldnt it at least turn over even if it putters or something.just sounds like its not engaging

Leon Davidian, Sr. :

Reading your question "sounds like only starter engaging but no compression" I gathered my experience on that sorry

Leon Davidian, Sr. :

If there is no click or turning of the starter did you check the grounds and too, check at starter red wire for battery voltage to ground?

Customer:

if I crank by hand I can feel and hear the compression. Almost had it once but timing was off a notch or two. when I re did it it wouldnt do anything but starter

Leon Davidian, Sr. :

Does the engine from turning the crank by hand - will it turn?

Customer:

it turns with no problem

Leon Davidian, Sr. :

so the engine cranks over but no start?

Leon Davidian, Sr. :

correct

Customer:

it did but now it sounds like a higher pitch crank sort of like engaging starter while running

Leon Davidian, Sr. :

right turning over faster then usual

Customer:

yes

Customer:

i have reinstalled this belt five times to because I thought timing was off

Leon Davidian, Sr. :

i would do a compression check to all cylinders with spark plugs out. if low then pull the head

Leon Davidian, Sr. :

starting fast means one or more cylinders is not getting enough compression

Leon Davidian, Sr. :

I wish there was an easy answer

Customer:

do not have that ability in my driveway. Its the only car I have and desperatly need. this S..Ks

Leon Davidian, Sr. :

if you do the compression test and all is well i would recheck the timing marks with #1 at top dead center on the compression stroke

Customer:

Already did the mark thing five times

Leon Davidian, Sr. :

to do a compression check sure you can do that in the drive way. Go to your local parts store and usually they will loan you the compression gauge remove all spark plugs and install compression gauge and crank over engine

Customer:

guess it looks like the end for this beast

Customer:

yeah but if the timing is off dont I risk damaging valves

Leon Davidian, Sr. :

sorry but the engine is an interference engine and will bend valves

Leon Davidian, Sr. :

yes

Leon Davidian, Sr. :

yes if timing marks are off it can damage engine

Leon Davidian, Sr. :

Is there anything else i can help you with?

Master Tech Lee, ASE Master Tech
Experience: 36 years Domestic and Import Electronics Diagnostic Tech
Customer: replied 7 months ago.

Thanks Leon, just wish there was something more I could do. Need this car

Expert:  Master Tech Lee replied 7 months ago.
I wish to help you, sorry your going through this. Try to find a used engine might be your best bet - and use the new timing components you bought for it.
Thank you for using justanswer.com
If i can be of more help just ask for Leon Davidian, Sr.
Thank you,