Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

vehicle stutters or dies when accelerating from a stop but

vehicle stutters or dies when accelerating from a stop but runs fine when at speed

Tim's Auto Repair :

Hi,My name is Tim,

I will do my best to assist you

Tim's Auto Repair :

what is the make,year and model of your car?

Tim's Auto Repair :

tell me all you can

Customer:

1989 toyota camry all trac dx 4 cylinder

Tim's Auto Repair :

ok

Tim's Auto Repair :

explain to me "vehicle stutters or dies when accelerating from a stop"

Customer:

when you are at a stop if you take off and barely put the gas on it sputters and slowly comes up to speed if you try to take off at a normal speed the car will die once the car picks up a little speed it is just fine

Tim's Auto Repair :

has any work been done lately?

Customer:

no

Tim's Auto Repair :

from the way you explain

Tim's Auto Repair :

it sounds as if you may have a bad tps sensor

Tim's Auto Repair :

throttle position sensor

Customer:

ok is there a way to check that

Tim's Auto Repair :

location

Tim's Auto Repair :

Rear Center Of Engine Compartment

Tim's Auto Repair :

13_ea12769a-103.png
Full Size Image

TPS (w/o Electronic Controlled Transaxle)

19_ea12769a-110.png
Full Size Image

TPS (w/ Electronic Controlled Transaxle)

The TPS is mounted on the throttle valve body and sends a varying voltage signal to the ECU based on throttle valve position. The ECU can then adjust fuel delivery based on acceleration, deceleration, full throttle (WOT) or idle. The TPS inputs the ECU through terminal PSW, (on models w/o Electronic Controlled Transaxle), or terminal VTA, (on models with Electronic Controlled Transaxle).

Tim's Auto Repair :

w/o ELECTRONIC CONTROLLED TRANSAXLE:

1. Loosen the two set screws that secure the TPS to the throttle housing. (DO NOT REMOVE THE SCREWS)

18_ea12769a-108.png
Full Size Image

TPS Adjustment Screws

2. Connect an Ohmmeter to terminals IDL and E1 of the TPS after removing the connector.
3. Insert a 0.70mm (0.028in.) feeler gauge between the throttle stop screw and stop lever.
4. Rotate the TPS counter-clockwise and slowly back clockwise until the Ohmmeter just looses continuity, (infinite ohms).
5. Secure the TPS with the two set screws.
6. Remove the feeler gauge and recheck TPS setting.
7. There should be continuity with a 0.50mm (0.020in.) feeler gauge inserted in the stop. There should be NO continuity with a 0.90mm (0.035in.) feeler gauge inserted in the stop.
8. Remove the Ohmmeter and reconnect the TPS connector.

w/ ELECTRONIC CONTROLLED TRANSAXLE:

23_ea12769a-114.png
Full Size Image

Adjusting TPS

2. Connect an Ohmmeter to terminals IDL and E2 of the TPS after removing the connector.
3. Insert a 0.60mm (0.024in.) feeler gauge between the throttle stop screw and stop lever.

24_ea12769a-115.png
Full Size Image

Checking TPS Stop Settings

7. There should be continuity with a 0.50mm (0.020in.) feeler gauge inserted in the stop. There should be NO continuity with a 0.70mm (0.028in.) feeler gauge inserted in the stop.

Tim's Auto Repair :

75_toycc49007003.png
Full Size Image

Fig. 3 TPS Sensor Specifications

Tim's Auto Repair :

If you are satisfied with my answer,Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work..I'm not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feed back ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, ,please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help

Customer:

thank you very much!!!!!!