sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

Grand Cherokee: I have a Jeep grand cherokee 2004 model diesel

I have a Jeep grand cherokee 2004 model diesel and automatic transmission. Gear often sticks in first and does not clear even when accelerating. When moving from first to neutral, car shudders a little. Then when moving from reverse to neutral same thing. Once or twice have selected reverse but no response. Had to go to neutral and then into reverse before any traction.
Dealer has changed transfer case switch and replaced valve body electric pack. No difference has been made.

Any ideas would be welcome?
I'm a moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.
I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Thank you!

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

There are a few possibilities for what you have going on.

It could be an internal hydraulic issue in the trans but I'm leaning toward electrical at this point.

The first thing that should be done is use a scan tool to see what fault codes are setting in the transmission control module. The problem you are experiencing should be setting a fault code.

Since the valve body lead plate has already been replaced the most likely causes for this (if electrical) are going to be shift solenoids, wiring, the TCM or the electronic shift module (ESM). The ESM is in the shifter and communicate shifter position to the TCM. Most problems I have seen with your symptoms have been due to a bad ESM.

sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience