Steve
Steve, ASE Certified Tech
Experience:  25 years working as a service technician
43460220

windshield wipers stay on

Customer Question

windshield wipers stay on
Submitted: 3 years ago via CarComplaints.com.
Category: Car
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.

Steve :

Thanks for trusting me to help you with your car today. I am a certified mechanic with over 25 years of experience. I look forward to working with you

Steve :

If the wipers are staying on and not turning off this is a concern with the wiper motor itself will need to be replaced. You have inside the wiper motor a part called a park switch which is not replaceable that sends a signal to the wiper governor that the wipers are in the park position. If the governor does not get this signal then the park switch is bad inside the wiper motor and the only way to repair this concern is to replace the wiper motor.

JACUSTOMER-5x5bvxvz- :

when you start the car the wipers come on and stay on

Steve :

JACUSTOMER-5x5bvxvz- :

when you start the car in the morning the wipers come on and stay on

Steve :

Steve :

can you see my answer?

JACUSTOMER-5x5bvxvz- :

yes,will that make the washer come on also?

Steve :

Sorry I do not understand your question.

If the wipers do not turn off the wiper motor is bad and it needs to be replaced.

JACUSTOMER-5x5bvxvz- :

washer fluid is coming out also, it seem to do it more in the morning and it does stop after awhile. So you think its the motor not the switch?

Steve :

If that is the case then it sounds like the switch is bad. If the washers are activated the wipers will also activate with the washers.

JACUSTOMER-5x5bvxvz- :

is there a way to test that?

Steve :

It really sounds like the switch is sticking and sending a signal to the pump to turn the washers on. Try disconnecting the switch and see if it still acts up.

JACUSTOMER-5x5bvxvz- :

is there a fuse I can pull until I can fix it? is the switch in the column?

Steve :

I would need to know the year, make, and model of your vehicle to tell you that.

JACUSTOMER-5x5bvxvz- :

2006 chevy trailblazer

Steve :

There is a windshield washer relay in the battery fuse box under the hood of your chevy. Try removing it.