Canuck Tech
Canuck Tech, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Red Seal Journeyman Technician, 20 Years experience

Infiniti 2005: I hears a rattle, nocking noise coming from

I hears a rattle, nocking noise coming from the front end (left side) when pulling off in 1st gear and low gears. The noise initially sounded like bad gas out of exhaust so took the car back to muffler repair and that wasn't the issue. I have the lowe control arm replaced yesterday that was bad that did not solve issue. The shots and struts and front sway bar arms all been replaced. What is that vibration, nocking and rattle noise at take off?
Educated guess - a left front outer CV joint. I'm not sure which model you have, but I'm assuming here it is a front drive vehicle. It sounds like you have covered the other bases. Have you had a mechanic go for a drive with you?
Canuck Tech, Auto Service Technician
Experience: Red Seal Journeyman Technician, 20 Years experience
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes. They heard noise and determined lower arms were bad and they showed me underneath vehicle. The other joints showed some sign of cracks from Arizona heat...lots of things go out quickly due to heat....I have 6 speed sedan 2005 g35.....sounds like I need to replace cc joints which will be another runs a lot tighter on front-end with control arms replaced and shocks and struts. However, as a woman I want to do research before repairs and there OEM manuf. you would recommend? Thanks you have validated my concerns...I need time to purchase so will there be significant problem if not done asap?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Other.
Good initial response to my question but need follow up answered sooner.
Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX Thank you for your question.

On the G Sedan's there is a few things that can cause the knocking. First is the cheapest. Sway Bar links. These links can make a knocking noise like you describing. If a CV boot or Joint was bad it would click when turning.

The other is the front Compression arms. These compression arms are part of the front suspension and the bushings tend to fail with age and can cause a knocking noise when driving.

So I would have both of those checked and most likely one of the two is your noise.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and your satisfied with my help, please Rate me. I hope I have provided you Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks, Jay. The answer provided is consistent with the response to my initial question. However, I sent a follow up question previously can you assist with that matter. See follow up questions.

Please explain? Did you do compression arms?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, in my initial email I provided list of all the repairs so far....compression arms, shocks, struts, sway bar, muffler

There is a cone that is pressed on the compression arms that you need to remove and swap over to the new compression arms. If that was not done, then for sure you will get a knock like your describing. I would look to see if the compression arms are loose at the knuckle where they mount. If so, then they forgot to take the cones off the old compression arms and put them on the new ones.

Thanks Jay!