George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15+ yrs, AAS Automotive Technology, Factory trained Asian specialist

SUZUKI xl7: Im working on a 2007 suzuki xl7 timing chain and

Im working on a 2007 suzuki xl7 timing chain and my question is how do I reset the hydraulic tensioner?

Hello I will help you with your question,

The pawl that catches the notches on the shaft can be lifted a bit with a pick tool to allow the tensioner to be compressed, Once the oil pressure hits it the shaft will extend and the pawl keeps it extended notch by notch.

Let me know if that is clear to you

Thank you

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok let me work on it, I'll get back to you.

OK, as long as you understand what I am saying about lifting the pawl to allow you to push the shaft back in.

Let me know how I can help

Thank you

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

By pawl, do you mean the little rod that sits in the notches?

Yes, the edge of that "rod" or pawl is what catches the notch to keep it out. It has a small spring to keep it engaged. YOu can use the tip of a pick to lift it out of the notch a little and that lets you push the tensioner shaft back in so it can be installed against the chain guide and the mounting bolts for the tensioner installed.

Are these new tensioners?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No theyre the old tensioners

You really should be installing new tensioners but if you are going to use these then lift the pawl and slip the shaft back in the tensioner, you may have to do some wiggling to get it back in then see the hole along the side of the shaft in the body of the tensioner? YOu insert a very small allen wrench or stiff wire in that hole to hold the shaft in while you install the tensioner and you can then pull the allen wrench or wire out once you have the tensioner in place. A set of tensioners are about $100

Please let me know how I can help you with this

Thank you

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

We may be talking about different tensioners. This tensioner has no pin hole.

Is this the primary tensioner or one of the secondarys?

See the picture below

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes thats a primary. Im working on a secondary tensioner. I think I've got it heres what I did. I took the spring loaded shaft out of the housing and you can clearly see a seperate notch at the very bottom so as you compress and rotate the shaft untill it sits I rotate a little further and it will lock in place. Now i can instll the tensioner. Thank you for your help.

Same thing with the pin to retain it on the secondary, as long as you can get it pushed back in you should have no problem.

Glad you got it and please let me know if you have further questions

Thank you