C. Walker, Jr.
C. Walker, Jr., Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Shop training and experience.

Isuzu Pickup: I am trying to adjust the valve clearance on

Customer Question

I am trying to adjust the valve clearance on a 1994 isuzu pickup 2.3l after replacing the camshaft, exhaust rocker arm shaft and all 8 rocker arms, and timing belt. I understand the sequence of #1TDC to adjust #1 "I" and "E" valve clearance, #2 "I" valve clearance and #3 "E" valve clearance. Then totate crank 360 deg to reach #4TDC and adjust #2 "E" valve clearance, #3 "I" valve clearance, and #4 "I" and "E" valve clearance.My problem is that with the Cam and crank shaft on there respective alignment marks at #1TDC, the #2 intake valve has enough pressure on the rocker and valve stem that cant adjust it properly. I took the timing belt off and rotated the cam 180 degrees and rotated the crank to set up my timing points and i still have the same results. What am i doing wrong? I need the #2 rocker arm to be loose in order to adjust to the .006" clearance, correct?
Category: Car
Expert:  C. Walker, Jr. replied 3 years ago.
The specs you have are close. You will actually want to get .008 +/- .002 so .006 would work. I also have the images of the order to adjust them in.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I know there is a tolerance in the adjustment. My question is about not being able to get the clearance on the #2 intake valve. What am I doing wrong?
Try flipping the crankshaft 360 degrees. If it stays the same you may have an issue with the push rod being off kilter.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Same question I originally asked needs answering
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
That doesn't answer my question. See original question about #2 rocker arm
Yes the rocker arm has to be loose to adjust.