EricFromCT
EricFromCT, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master certified L1, L2, Diesel Certified 16 years experience
34559540

I have a 2007 Mercury Mariner 2WD with a front wheel reluctor

I have a 2007 Mercury Mariner 2WD with a front wheel reluctor ring that is loose, floating and split. Can I pull ABS/Speed Control Fuse (both on same circuit - can I disconnect just wire to ABS or ?) to temporarily bypass ABS until I have more time to fix this? Is a 'easy fix' reluctor ring available, or do I have to replace entire CV joint shaft assembly?

Eric :

Hi. You can purchase just a new tone ring from the dealer and hammer it on to the axle.

Customer:

Hi Eric.

Eric :

The ABS should be disabled by pulling fuses 15 and 20 in the under hood junction box.

Eric :

Hello

Customer:

Did you see in my question about the fuse?

Eric :

Yeah. I just responded to that one. Did you see it?

Customer:

Just saw. What will be the resulting effect. Will I disable something else and will it create a trouble code?

Eric :

I can not be 100% sure as I usually dont pull fuses out, but it should just effect the abs module. There may be a code when you put them back in. But there is probably a code now from the tone ring anyway

Customer:

I was surprised that I saw no trouble light from the condition of the ring and the abs action it was creating, but I guess it was fooled into 'just doing its job'. Are there better places to buy this ring then others? Any other tips?

Eric :

The light may not have come on, but that doesn't mean theres not one stored in memory. As far as I know it can only be bought at the dealer. Usually its less then 20 dollars. The only tip I have is after removing the old ring and before hitting the new one on, clean the axle up well with sandpaper so it goes on easier. And also dont hit the edges of the new ring to hard. Use a punch on the body of it. If the square edges are damaged, it won't read right.

Customer:

Thank you, Eric.

Eric :

You are welcome. Have a good day!