Eric N
Eric N, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master certified L1, L2, Diesel Certified 16 years experience
34559540

my 2004 kia sedona randomly wont start after parking it,there

my 2004 kia sedona randomly wont start after parking it,there is no spark but the moter turns over ok
athen we leave it for a few hours and it starts ok and runs good till it dose it again and it could be a week of the next day. have had it in for weeks at a shop and it only did it once and when he put the computer on it never showed any faults. I remover the main loom from the engine bay as it was cracking up from the heat here and cleaned it and retaped it with heat proof tape I hope someone may be able to give me a good idea to fix it thankyou
Category: Car
Expert:  Eric N replied 11 months ago.

Eric :

Hi. Its pretty common for the crankshaft position sensors to fail on the Sedona. An easy check is next time it does not start, to watch the RPM gauge while you are cranking it. The gauge should move to approx 200-300 rpms.

Customer:

is there a sensore in the fuel tank that could stop it from sparking

Eric :

No.

Customer:

ok because I was reading about another kia that would do this when the tank was below 1/3

Eric :

That would be from fuel not getting sucked up when the filter on the end of the pump falls off.

Customer:

also when the timing belt was replaced thay dident replace the tencioner

Eric :

You don't have too if its not leaking.

Customer:

what other sensores control the spark that could be affected by heat

Eric :

Thats pretty much it. The cam sensor controls fuel delivery.

Customer:

yes but when this happens there is no spark at the plugs

Customer:

the car turns over but there is no spark

Customer:

I pulled off a lead and put a screwdriver in and got someone to crank the car and its not sparking

Eric :

That is why I suggested you view the rpms the next time it does not start. If no rpms then the crank sensor is faulty

Customer:

and thats the only thing that will stop the spark

Eric :

Yes.

Customer:

dose the sensor read the timing belt or the crank teeth

Eric :

The crank teeth

Customer:

is it in a oil filled area

Eric :

No.

Eric :

Its behind the timing cover

Customer:

is that the blackplastic on the passinger side of the moter

Eric :

Yes

Customer:

and how far away shood it be from the teeth

Eric :

It will only mount in one position. there is no need to adjust it.

Customer:

I am going to go out and pull it off is there a way of testing it

Customer:

or just go get another one and see what it dose

Eric :

Only by using an osciliscope. But the test is to see if the car is reading rpms when it will not start.

Customer:

great that means I have to drive it till it stops again lol because the wife wont drive it and I want my truck back

Customer:

thank you

Eric :

Just idle it in the driveway until it gets warm then retry starting it

Customer:

and my next car will be a classic

Customer:

it dont happen all the time it can go weeks between stops

Eric :

Maybe you can get lucky and it wont start.

Customer:

usualy after I drive it for a few weeks and then the wife gets in and then she is calling me all sorts on names because she is stuck somewhere

Customer:

ok I'll go try

Eric :

You can only take that for so long... haha

Customer:

ok I just went out to start it and watched the taco it dident move till it fired up

Customer:

I havent been in the car for a week so as it started it turned over a bit and there was no taco movement till it started

Customer:

and the engin light stays on

Eric :

If the engine light stays on then there is a code.

Customer:

but kia had it with the engine light on and thay say nothingshowes up

Eric :

That can't be.

Eric :

Engine light does not come on for nothing

Customer:

lol I hate computers

Eric :

I hear ya.

Customer:

ok If I can drive it over to the station and the light stays on then thay shood be able to tell me

Eric :

Yeah. They may not say what is exactly at fault. But there will be a code to be retrieved which gives an idea of whats going on.

Customer:

ok just called the station and will head down and hopefully I make it and the light stays on

Customer:

thankyou again and if I leave this open I will tell you what thay say

Eric :

Yeah, hopefully! Good luck. You can come back to the site and request me with your results if you like.

Eric :

Ok. Bye

Customer:

the code is po335 crankshaft sensor

Customer:

quote $500 to replace

Eric :

Glad to hear. You can get your truck back.

Eric N, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Master certified L1, L2, Diesel Certified 16 years experience