Roy, import/domestic specialest
Experience:  ASE master tech for 40 years

ford probe: I have a 1990 ford probe gl and i bought the car

I have a 1990 ford probe gl and i bought the car not running. i have power to the coil but the coil is not geting the signal to fire. I changed the pick up coil and ignition control module. Still no fire. I get a code 1. I finally broke down and took it to an electric shop. The technician said there's nothing wrong with the car that the ignition control module and pick up all of that so I placed the whole distributor like he wanted me to. Still nothing. Any ideas.

good morning my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will assist you today

What motor is in the car??

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

4 cylinder 2.2L.

ok, you need to probe the negative side of the coil and watch for the light to flash while cranking. this will tell you if the module is working. if it is then possible coil failure, even though you replaced it, or a bad cap and rotor.

I will attach a wire diagram for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have done that and there was no flash. I have changed the module twice. I'll pull the module and test it to double check. Whats crazy is i have checked other ford probes and even checked out new distributors and none of them have the same plug connection as mine even the mazda 626 which has the same motor is different. I have work today and Tomorrow so it will be monday or tuesday before i can check the module. (I have a wells module tester) if the module comes out good is there anything else you can think of.

is a stupid question but is the timing belt turning????

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

good. you can take your module to pepboys, they test for free. I used to work there and I had to test even the new ones as we always got bad new ones.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have access to a module tester. I'm currently working at autozone but i wont be able to check mine until monday. I thought cam or crank sensor but this car doesnt have those.

good deal, keep me updated

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok. I'll get back with you asap

i will be here
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I tested the controle module was bad im buying a new one on ebay.

can autozone meet the price??I do not trust e bay for anything electrical for warranty reasons.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The new one at autozone doesnt match the o.e. wrong wires. This one has a one year warranty its new and it matches the o.e. distributor. If my car starts then ill be happy.

good, keep me updated

dont forget to hit the smiley button so I get credit for my answers
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Do i credit you now or later. I dont know if it would let me contact you or not after i rate you. So far you get the best rating.

you can contact me anytime you like. I will be here to help even after the rating.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok cool

keep me updated

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

On the ford probe it was the ignition controle module. I put the new distributor in and i also had to change the fuel pump and drain the gas. It ran ruff for 5 minutes then smoothed out. Jist needs brakes and she is road ready. Thank you for the help.

nice job, thanks for keeping me updated